Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Variegated Jade Propagation

Posted by gardener972 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 12, 10 at 19:50

While out of town in the fall, most of my beautiful variegated jade dried up. I kept some of the leaves that were on the ends and was wondering if I tried to start them now they would root. What do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Variegated Jade Propagation

Can't hurt to try, but I'd be sure to do it dry. Place the leaves on top of the mix , maybe give it some light & some time. I wouldn't water it at all now.

Also, there's more info. you might like about Crassulas (Jades) next door at the Cactus & Succulent forum (next door as it were); see the top of this page.

o

Just let them callous over for a few days and like PG said lay them on the soil or stick them in it. DO NOT water them. They will rot if you do. In a few weeks check them carefully and if any roots just barely mist the soil. They should eventually send out air roots looking for moisture. Eventually you should see new leaves and the mother leaf will fall off and die from your new little plantlet.
Continue to just mist the soil about every 2 weeks take care not to get much on the leaves.

o

I have lost the variegation on all jade leaves that I have rooted. I keep trying to see if it can be done. They all sprout up just green.
I've heard that you have to have part of the stem to keep the variegation, or it may be a very small % that keep its variegation from a rooted leaf. I haven't had any luck yet.

o

Zuba, are your Jade leaf cuttings, babies/young? Are they getting adequate light/sun?
It's possible they won't grow variegated, but give them a chance.
I've heard some variegated plant cuttings revert to green, but be optimistic.
If the leaf cuttings are new, see what happens as they mature, and any season other than winter. Even fully matured plants revert to green during gray winter days, but once days lenghten, color resumes. Toni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here