Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bunky_mi

help save this plant

bunky_mi
9 years ago

My mom gave us this plant she has had for quite some time it seems to be dying and I don't know how to save it. The leaves keep turning Brown and cant seem to get them to stop. It all started last winter when we lost power for about a week house got pretty cold.

Can someone help?

Comments (3)

• alisonoz_gw
    9 years ago

It's a Dracaena. It could be over or under-watering, or not enough light. Apart from the lean, it's not looking toooooo bad, if you mean it suffered injury last winter (2013/2014) rather than this one.
    I'm assuming it has a drainhole since you have it sitting inside another pot. The soil may be depleted and lack nutrients, it may be salt-saturated if it hasn't been well flushed, or it may be root-bound.
    I'm sure other folk will join in with their opinions, in the meantime you might let us know your normal care routine and where it's located and how much light it gets?

• MsGreenFinger GW
    9 years ago

The leaves look dry, therefore the sagginess.
    I think the problem is in the soil. From here it looks like it's planted in sand (?). Or potting media is very compacted.
    Get cacti and succulent soil and add 50% perlite to it. You need a well draining mix for this plant as they don't like wet feet. Use rain water for watering of distilled water if you have access to it. Dracaenas are extremely sensitive to chlorine and flouride in tap water. Water only when soil is dry. You can stick your finger or a wooden skewer in the soil. When it comes out dry, time for a drink.
    Try to remove all soil from the roots when repotting. The same size container will do. I assume it has a drainhole at the bottom. If not, get one, or drill holes.
    Dracaenas don't like being too warm or too cold. Either standing beside a hot air vent or cold drafts (like beside an open window or door during cold season) can kill them, or make them shed their foliage.
    Your plant is reaching out for a bit more light. During winter, you can place it in direct sun, in summer, indirect bright light only.

Hope this helps.

• bunky_mi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

First I would like to say thanks for the replies. The soil does appear to be compacted and I agree it should be changed. I always have used rain water and/or distilled or purified water . Another issue could be that it is in front of a window that the shades are closed all the time. The plant was leaning toward the window I changed that a few weeks back. As far as watering I watered occasionally and the plant would drain into the bottom.

I will get some new soil and see what happens.

On another note I have an elephant ear that I keep indoors in the fall and winter and leave out on the deck for the summer,would the cactus mix work for this plant as well?

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks