Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carmen80_gw

norfolk pine in a basement appartment

carmen80
10 years ago

Hi, i bought a Norfolk pine and read online that it needs to be by a window

I live in a basement apartment where the windows are higher then the top of the palm.. will it survive? It's about 3 feet tall

Comments (6)

• christine1950
    10 years ago

Yours is a beauty, I would put it on a higher table by that window so it can get alot of light. What direction does that window face? You will need to watch out for any cold drafts that may come from that window. Others will have more advice for you, do you plan on putting any decorations on it? Good Luck.....
    Christine

• goren
    10 years ago

Its a shame that people still buy trees that, when allowed to grow naturally, something has to give.....and in the case of the Norfolk Pine, its the top of the tree.
    While N.P. is a wonderful stand-in for a XMAS tree...its still a tree that ---if people could steel themselves, leave them where the grow....on Norfolk Island in the South Pacific.

Failing that, N.P. will outgrow your basement apartment's ceiling in fast order which will necessitate you cutting it back---which will ruin its look.
    As you prune the sides, the energy will go into shooting the top up----up and away.
    As it is, you can put it on a table or pedestal to catch more rays and feed it about every 3 - 4 weeks with a 20-20-20...at half strength until mid February when the sun will take over.
    Be sure to keep your tree away from air currents which could cause leaf/needle drop. That includes floor registers, open doors or windows, anywhere air comes into the room which can change the temperature and the soil's moisture level quickly.

• summersunlight
    10 years ago

If the Norfolk Island Pine gets too big, you could try root pruning it to keep it from becoming too huge without ruining the top of the tree.

However, in a dark room, I doubt it will grow so fast that will be a problem.

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

goren
    They also grow very well in florida where they quickly become the worlds worst landscape plant lol
    carmen has the the best use for them they make very interesting houseplants though i suspect it won't grow very well in that situation BUT would be a terrific advantage !!
    Good luck with it!! They do make great fir tree standins !!
    Deck the halls?? gary

• carmen80
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for all the info, its been very helpful

There is a vent on the ceiling about 3 feet to its left

Christine it's a south facing window

• johnthelandlord (Los Angeles California, Zone 10B)
    10 years ago

I had one when I lived in NY in my kitchen window for about 5 years. It was going great, compared to my other failed attempts at it. It was in a West facing window that got some direct sun. When I moved, I gave it to my mom and it died after a year or so. I am sure it had to do with moving it. That tells me that the lighting is a bit tricky.

This is a TREE, so they don't have much business being squashed in a pot. Therefore, they will eventually die due to lack of room to grow further. That is not fun. I live in LA CA now and have seen those grow outside 30+ feet tall. The only downside is they tend to start to tilt and fall when they get that big.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor