Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Honeydew on Tree Philodendron

Posted by nydepot 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 19, 11 at 20:20

I have some leaves on a tree philodendron that have small yellow dots on the leave and underneath where the dot is there is a tiny (really tiny) drop of honeydew.

I'm used to looking for mealybugs or scale and see none of these things. Just the droplets of honeydew.

Any ideas what I should be looking for? THanks,

Charles

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Honeydew on Tree Philodendron

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 19, 11 at 21:07

If in fact there are no insects to look to as the source, the next logical consideration would probably be 'guttation'.

Al

o

Yeah, Probably just guttation. Some plants do that. Philos do it a lot. If the "water drops" are a little sticky when rubbed on your hand it's a good bet. Usually clear but it can be tinted.

Read the link below

Here is a link that might be useful: Guttation explained

o

Aside from the plant itself exuding moisture from the leaves one should keep a vigil to see if indeed a bug is hidng.
You're right in assuming a possible infestation of scale insects or mealybugs--both produce honeydew and can be detected sometimes by the shininess of leaves. The scale insects are hard to see on fronds because they resemble spores.
Nonetheless, plants can be given a mild solution of lime sulfur or dormant oil. Because the scale insect has a hard oyster shell-like body you can add to the solution a measure of rubbing alcohol which can eat through the shell.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here