Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water Rooting Ferns

Posted by ThatAdeniumGuy none (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 8, 13 at 20:22

Hi guys, I posted this in the fern forum 4 days ago but haven't gotten any responses. Hope you don't mind if I post here.
So I bought this boston fern from HD and removed all the soil and put it in water to see what would happen. It rotted to mush. What ferns are best for growing in water? I thought rabbit's foot fern or staghorn fern would be pretty cool, but maybe I should give Boston Fern another shot in different conditions?
I appreciate your help,
-Ryan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water Rooting Ferns

Ryan, both terrestrial and epiphitic ferns do need moisture to survive, but they also need oxygen to their roots, whether those roots are anchored in soil or on a tree/rock or whatever.
Expecting such a plant to thrive with all its roots constantly under water is like putting me head-down in a pond and expecting me to grow gills. I won't - I'll drown.
"Water roots" such as are developed by many plant cuttings being struck, do often sustain those plants, but they have grown especially for their circumstances, they have not adapted the other way around.
You might be better to look at "bog plants" or google "aquatic ferns" - or visit a local aquarium shop.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here