Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grantgarden22

What is your biggest houseplant you have?

What are your biggest houseplant you have? And what is their story? Mine is a swiss leaf monstera plant. Quite a monster, haha there is a plant rescue place near by that rescue unwanted plants. I found this beauty there and i have had it ever since.

Comments (23)

• Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another pic remember that the pic on the other post is my 15 year old tiny hands.

• Drock
    11 years ago

Mine would be Dracaena deremensis 'Janet Craig'.
    Stands about 4 1/2' from soil to tip.
    Love your Monstera. Mine has a few years yet to get to that size! It just produced its' first split leaf about 2 months ago.
    {{gwi:117304}}
    -Derrick

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Mine used to be a Monstera....but I chopped it down to a few stems a couple weeks ago....

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    11 years ago

Mine is Sansevieria trifasciata Laurentii followed closely by Euphorbia lactea 'Candelabra' which will be passed by Euphorbia neriifolia. The Sans has leaves up to 4-1/2 feet tall as well as the E. lactea but the E. neriifolia is only two years old and is already up to 4 feet tall.
    {{gwi:112503}}
    {{gwi:117337}}
    {{gwi:117338}}
    Sorry for off topic. More for the C&S forum. I had a P. 'Hope' that was starting to get out of control but had to give it away to make room for others.
    Stush

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Very nice, Stush!

Here's the current largest/tallest houseplant that I grow...Pachira aquatica (Money Tree):

• elkay_gw
    11 years ago

My largest plant, in terms of leaf size, would be my philodendron bipinnatifidum. I've had it for over 25 yrs. The leaves measure approx, 22 x 24".
    {{gwi:117339}}

{{gwi:76696}}

The plant is about 7.5 ft tall.

I also have a dracaena warneckii that is about 8 ft tall and a Ficus b. that is about 8.5 ft tall.
    {{gwi:117340}}

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

A 5-gallon bucket with heart-leaf Philo is growing up 2 oak branches stuck in the pot and is taking up a lot of room in here... too lazy to take the pic again, sorry it's fuzzy but u get the idea.

11 years ago

A Dracaena marginata tree at about 5 ft. is the tallest, at the right. Its' pot is on the floor.

• dellis326 (Danny)
    11 years ago

Dieffenbachia, Pushing against the ceiling, 9.5 ft tall.
    {{gwi:117341}}

Rhaphidophora, 7 feet plus a few inches
    {{gwi:117341}}

Monstera, Over 6 feet, rows up past my exhaust hood, each section of the window is 32" x 48" so it's over 6 feet
    {{gwi:117342}}

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

My Nine foot tall Pony Tail Palm... it is getting to big for my house.. LOL

{{gwi:117344}}

Agave,,,
    {{gwi:6494}}

Laura

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

Biggest? Right now, probably the Chalice Vine... it's planted in an 8 or 10 inch pot on one side of my plant alcove, and it wraps around the other side and is halfway on it's way back toward its pot!

This isn't the best photo, but the pot is on the left side...
    {{gwi:54168}}

Aside from the Chalice Vine, which should have been pinched or pruned to provide better shaping, I'd have to say the Plumeria wintering in the stairwell is the largest. Most of my plants are amaryllids/bulbs.

• petrushka (7b)
    11 years ago

i love those monsteras! i never dared to buy one, since it's so large.
    here's my fiddle leaf ficus from woolworth 20 years back. it's about 8'(with pot) and and i topped it once and rooted 4 stems and merged them into 2 plants. will be combining them into one pot in a few years to have a second bushy tree. one 'baby' after 4 years is reaching 7', another about 6' - i'll top them next year for a grand baby ;).

• subtropix
    11 years ago

Norfolk island Pine and one Canary Date Palm--both massive.

• emerald1951
    11 years ago

Hi all what great plants....and they are biggggggggggggggg
    I will have to post a picture of my hoya hindu rope and here it is.......I think I would say it is about 6 to 7 feet long...and this is the plant that had mealy bugs so bad and I saved it.....thanks for looking and thanks to all that have shared pictures....they are all great...linda

• Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow beautiful plants everyone. I loved seeing them all. Hope to keep this thread going!

Grant

• strobiculate
    11 years ago

my current biggest, Phil. selloum. that's a 24" pot with concrete block in the bottom, and a slight breeze can still blow it over.

• strobiculate
    11 years ago

not the largest, but one of my favorites, and still remarkable for it's size. the ever popular ZZ.

• strobiculate
    11 years ago

Euphorbia tortilis, if I have the name right. a hard plant to pass in a tight spot.

11 years ago

Strob., is that prickly?

• ericthehurdler
    11 years ago

Coconut palm {{gwi:117347}}

• eahamel
    11 years ago

Wow, I'm really enjoying this thread! Wish I had the light that most of you have. My house faces south, and I just don't have the light coming in, so my plants are on shelving, with 48" shop lights, and none of them are anywhere near as large as yours, since I buy plants that don't get too large, so they will fit under the lights.

• strobiculate
    11 years ago

purp, yeah, it's a prickly beast. not really long or really sharp, but because of the twisting nature of the growth, it seems to snag everything.

eahamel, we all have different ideas of what we want. I like to see my plants get to a certain size. To be honest, the philodendron is so large it may be time to start over...I've had it just under four years. total canopy cover, seven feet in diameter. yeah, I don't have kids. but it is nice to have leaves three feet in length to spin daydreams around. I must be compensating for something.

so you have different goals. in no way does it make what you do any less rewarding. after all, there is only one person you have to make happy...and perhaps another, if life has chosen that path for you. but that's between you and them.

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions