Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

A few houseplants in my cool moist room. Pictures

meyermike_1micha
14 years ago

I wanted to share some pictures I took today, of one of my almost completed cool and humid plant rooms. Some in the day, some by night. I just have to hide some wires and all should finally be done..Very relaxing in there to get anyone through a winter...

Thankyou for all the help you have given to me to grow successfully through the winters now. I owe it all to my friends here..!

I hope everyone had a great and happy day!

Mike..:-)

{{gwi:117377}}

{{gwi:117379}}

{{gwi:117381}}

{{gwi:117383}}

{{gwi:117384}}

{{gwi:117385}}

{{gwi:117386}}

{{gwi:117387}}

{{gwi:117388}}

{{gwi:117389}}

{{gwi:117390}}

{{gwi:117391}}

{{gwi:117392}}

{{gwi:117393}}

AND MY DEAR LIFESAVERS!!!

{{gwi:81060}}

Comments (45)

• birdsnblooms
    14 years ago

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Mike, you did a great job with your plant room. The room looks so cozy, so relaxing..I can imagine sitting back, watching tv, surrounded by gorgeous greens.
    Plus, I bet it smells wonderful when bloomers like your citrus are bursting with flowers.

What is the huge tree in pic 8??? That IS one big tree!!!
    I love the sky light too. Wish I had the know-how to install one, or two or three..lol..Very nice job.

Your Dieffenbachia is so pretty. Its colors are different from any other Dieff I've seen..Quite unique.

The mirrors are a great addition. At first, I thought you had an adjoining plant room..I really like them.

In the last pic, 'AND MY DEAR LIFESAVORS', are they used for testing soil? lol..Toni

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    14 years ago

WOW, great job! Nice photos!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    14 years ago

Mike, the sky lights are excellent...you've done well these past months!
    Super relaxing area to hang out, read, whatever.

I like the water-feature, too!

Josh

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Mike, AWESOME Plant room you have there...everything looks so nice and healthy, very happy for sure. Thanks for posting. You did a great job. Looks very tropical and inviting!!

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thankyou!

I will tell you, none of this would of be possible without knowing friends like you here...:-)

These plants are all in a mix that a member here so freely shared. My plants and I will always be greatful for that. All of them are in a 5.1.1 and gritty mix.

This is definately one of my favorite hang out places when I can't take a vacation to the warm south this time of year...Heck, I hate to go out at night anymore...

Mike

• woodnymph2_gw
    14 years ago

They certainly look healthy. Wish I knew your secret, as my house is cool and damp, too.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Woodnymph,

I can honestly say it's the mix they are planted in, and making sure the soil dries out between waterings, especially in these cool temps..

Then lots more light, humidtiy, a constant feed of FP, and no pests..lol

Thankyou!

• ashley_plant_addict
    14 years ago

Great job Mike, I hope you had a wonderful holiday! The room and plants look great!

I still seem to have some of the small nats coming out of my 1.1.1 mix that I got from Al. You seem to not have this problem, do you think its because I still have plants in soil as well as the gritty mix?

Thank you and Happy New Year!
    Ashley

• emerald1951
    14 years ago

Hey Mike....
    love your plant room....I would like to come over and just sit and relax......perrrrrrrrrfect...
    that is what I have done to my living room...it is now my plant room...it is so comfy.........
    I really like the citrus trees, are they easy or hard to grow, yours I see have fruit, is that hard to do, get them to make fruit..and do you eat the fruit???
    (I can see it now more plants) lol....
    great job...Mike...
    linda

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Ashley..

Thankyou for commenting!

Knats?
    That is the first time I have heard of any knat issues in the gritty mix, especially from Al... Have you told him by e-mail? I would.. He might be able to explain why..

Why would you have plants in soil? Have you not had time to transplant them? I have aquired new plants recently not yet put into the mixes I use, and only they have knats...

I will be ridding them of knats come spring, when I wash all the soil off the roots and then transplant into the mixes we know of..Did you wash the roots of soil before you transplanted into the gritty mix?

Once all your plants are in the gritty and 5.1.1 mixes, you should have no knats unless you have plants in soil in the same room here or there, or are watering the gritty mix with an organic fertilizer, or adding something organic to these soiless mixes, like even a tad bit of vermicompost or some other powdery organic food fertilizer...

It suprises me though that knats would be in the mix Al sent you, if used as is, alone with a good chemical fertilizer.

Are you sure they aren't just hovering the surface, and yet coming from a different source. This has happened to me.

Let us know what Al has to say...

Take care yourself..

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Linda!!

I was coming back to see what Ash had to say and just noticed your post.You must of sent it right as I did..

It is good to see you. Thankyou for your kind compliments.

How are your cuttings doing??

Hoping you are well.

MIke

• ashley_plant_addict
    14 years ago

Mike, I think that they are probably hovering over after I water and coming from the other plants that are in soil. I know, I know the gritty mix is the way to go but I just haven't the time to go buy the material and mix them. Al was kind enough to share some but I was only able to transplant 5, you should know me better than to think I have so few plants haha. Ah, yes I will transplant hopefully this spring when the weather is nice. Weatherman says there will be snow!

Oh, I did wash the roots before transplanting them, thought I am having some issues with my peace lily being in the gritty mix. I've already spoken to Al about this but it seems as though I need to water it every 2 days now, guess that comes with the territory. The mix is wonderful in that you don't have to fear over watering but I fear under watering now. I do have fertilizer but haven't used any yet since winter was on its way. Should I?

I love the salt rocks! I forgot to mention it last time. I have one but want to get more. I've seen some that are four ft tall! They give off such a nice glow...

Ashley

14 years ago

Ashley,
    there are a few plants that will need to be watered more often, following transplant into the gritty mix. Once the plant's roots fully colonize the soil volume, the mix will retain more moisture and require less frequent waterings. I have freshly re-potted Christmas Cactus that sulked for more than a week....then I started drenching the mix, and the CC perked right up.

I also have undesirable (sunflower) seeds sprouting in some of my containers, due to the fact that I dragged my plants outside on sunny days...and birds dropped seeds into the mix. If your plants have spent any time outside, assume that they've picked up a few stowaways! As you mention, pests can easily travel indoors from plant to plant, as well.

Buena suerte! ;-)

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Josh, good point made about plants freshly potted up into the griity mix..:-) Buena suerte!

Ash, I love the salt rocks too....Some can cost well over hundreds of dollars...lol. They seem to do something to the air. and make for a relaxing atmosphere. Since I am also a "message therapist", my clients like them too..

I would go right ahead and fertilize. I do at every watering no matter what... 1/4 teaspoon per gallon.
    Remember, our gritty mix requires fertilizer more often. As long as your plants are getting warmth and light, they are always looking for nutrients, 4 seasons a year.
    If you have some in a heavy peaty mix, or soil, then that may be a different story, since salts and excess fertilizer have a hard time escaping the soil, unless you do a thorough flush ever so often..

The only thing I do not fertilze is a plant here and there that barely needs, likes, or requires any..A couple of examples are "Christmass cactus", and "sweet olive" trees. along with some palms.

Ash, about the knats. I can gaurentee you that knats can not survive in the gritty mix, especially what Al sent you..
    I would probably buy yellow sticky traps and definately put a few of these around your plants along with letting up on the watering can on the plants in soil. This will help greatly..

Take care for now..;-)

Again, thanks for being so kind in your words..

14 years ago

Hey, Mike!
    I had no idea that you're a massage therapist....!
    I learn something every day! By the way, I sent you a couple e-mails this morning....

I also used my new FP fertilizer this morning! I made a weak solution and I applied it to my Castor Bean seedling, my Pachira, and my Dinner Plate Aralia - as a test.

I sprayed my Chili peppers, my Port. afras, and my Avocado for aphids, too (I was out of Safer soap, so I used a product called Concern). The Avocado didn't have any aphids, but I saw some black gnats flitting around the bark in the mix. I'll treat again if needed.

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh yeah... Did I tell you I am also a jousting expert?lol. Just kidding on that one...That was in my previous life....lol

Wait till you see what happens to your plants overnight from that stuff Josh!lol.
    Seriously, you are going to see your plants react tremendously to FP..
    That was a bright and thoughtful idea to get that for you as a gift..Wonderful family you have there..

I shall have to catch my e-mails when I get home tonight.

Take care friend.

Mike

• ashley_plant_addict
    14 years ago

Josh, I do notice that when my PL goes without water it'll wilt but spring right back up when I water it. I need to find a good method for watering my plants in the gritty mix. Its so hard for me to move each plant over my small sink and water thoroughly, but I love them so I stick with it! Maybe I'll invest in a big bucket and just water over that....hmm..maybe! Sunflowers are gorgeous, but I understand what you mean. :) I put my fern outside this summer and found that I had some other greenery growing, though still unsure of its origin. haha.

Mike, thanks for the tips I will definitely start to fertilize my plants! Is that FP possibly the miracle fertilizer I read about?! I read that it helps out greatly with plants and they response so well to it. Also, should I use a soapy spray the plants with knats? I've found that when I place a saucer with water and dish soap it attracts them to their untimely demise. Works wonders! ;)

Message Therapist, eh?! I have a friend in FL who does this and she couldn't be happier. I hope you are feeling better! I read in a post that you had a root canal? I've been absent so that might have been an older post.

Did you get to visit each other for the holidays? If so, thats wonderful! I was actually thinking about sending each of a small gift but time really has gotten away with me. As you can see with my absence.

What are those "lifesavers" you speak of, Mike?

Bueno Suerte!
    Ashley

• gobluedjm 9/18 CA
    14 years ago

Mike, it looks very nice and relaxing...BUT...

Is this the same room that you spoke about before that plants were dripping from the humidity?
    Is this also the same room or environment where people couldn't sleep? I think the concensus here was the humidity was too high.

I just can't believe the humidity would be good on any electronics. You could be setting yourself up for a mold battle eventually in the drywall. That amount of moisture can't be good for the wood floors either.
    I dunno, for me, I wouldn't be risking thousands of dollars of damage to my home for indoor plants, but I do have an entire garden to enjoy outdoors.

Just a few thoughts I wanted to let you know to think about if you own this home.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ash,
    what I do to water my plants is use a small watering can that sprinkles the water over my plants evenly, since I can't carry all of them to the sinks downstairs...I also use a small bucket, and water my plants over that until they drain..Pretty easy. I actually like seeing the water drain out from my pots..

Lol....Those lifesavers are wooden dowels that tell me when not to water when pulled out of my pots moist, or to water when pulled out dry. Like pushing a toothpick through the center of a cake to make sure it's cooked well......
    It is the best idea Al could of given me!! I havn't killed one plant to overwatering yet, knock on wood since I have been using them..;-)

How's your knats by the way?..lol

• ashley_plant_addict
    14 years ago

Mike, my knats are doing just fine, unfortunatley. Thank you for asking, haha! ;)

Those sticks are a great idea! Al always has a good solution to a problem. :)

Do you hold your pots over the bucket or do you have some something it sits on that the water seeps through?

Ashley

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I use like hum, hard to desribe, like a dish grate, one that lets dishes dry, sort of looks like a milk crate with holes but flat. Then I sit them on top, water, wait till done drip drying, then put back their spots.

Sometimes I just hold the plant over it and then wait till it's about done dripping, then put back..This helps alot let me tell you. It allows me to water alot so it flows out freely, instead of watering just enough for water to leak out onto a saucer...

I love the stick idea!

Mike..;-)

• yaslan
    14 years ago

What is FP stand for? I would love to get some of this fertilizer for my plants. BTW, beautiful plants you have there. I especially love the citrus.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Yas..Thankyou!

FP stands for Foiliage Pro fertilizer! Great stuff! It is all I use in most my plants..

• yaslan
    14 years ago

Thanks Mike! I will check it out next time I am @ HD or Lowe's.

• jodik_gw
    14 years ago

Phenomenal, Mike... just spectacular! I feel more relaxed just from viewing your wonderful zen interpretation! I love it all! Big hugs! :-)

Hi, JoJo... Hi, Nancy! (waving)

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jodik.

I really think a few of your magnifent remarkable georgous Bulb plants and flowers would fit right in and add sparkle to it all..

You must post some here..I would love that!

Thankyou..

Hugs to you too! And the dog...:-)

• jojosplants
    14 years ago

Jodi,
    I'm going to sneak over and camp out in it for a few days for some much needed R&R! Mikes so busy, I don't think he'd even notice! LOL!

Mike, just got message.. it's fine will write and send links tonight!

Hugs!
    JoJo

• jane__ny
    14 years ago

Beautiful photos Mike. Your plants are spectacular! The only thing missing are some orchids for that humid room. Wow, with your light you could have some flowers.

I use the same steam vaporizers. They do a good job. What is your light source?

Great growing...

Jane

• cool81
    14 years ago

Hi Mike
    wow man your plants look great.
    I wish I could say the same for mine
    After the cold weather hit FL
    I lost $100 worth of plants.
    I am slowy rebuiding the garden.
    I missed you Pug and Toni.
    Its been a very long time since I been online/ sorry about that my friends.
    The pictures are done I will post them and the pictures of the replacement plants very soon.
    Toni: do you know if a rubber tree plant damage by
    very cold weather if could be save or not?
    Take Care
    Richie

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jane. Thankyou very much!

The light source is more than just the sun.. A skylight I installed this past fall seems to please all my plants now..

Richie!!!! I am so GLAD to see you here. Please stick around and have fun. This is one of the best forums you'll ever know. A great bunch of people and lots of info..

I am so happy to see you. In fact, this forums is much more entertaining than the fragrant one..lol

Thanks for the comments, and just maybe, Toni will be here soon to help you. Someone will..;-)

• pippi21
    14 years ago

While browsing on the container gardening site, came across all your post and beautiful pictures. While they are beautiful, I'd feel like I was suffocating in that room. Too many plants inside for me! Your gardenia looked beautiful!I would be concerned about the build up of mold from the moisture in that room also. Do you have laminated flooring? Won't all that moisture/humidity effect the flooring? I'm surprized that it hasn't already. Pick up your humidifier and you also might find a burned spot from the motor of it on your flooring.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Pippi, I love that name by the way...

No problems to report, but thanks for the heads up! I have 3 fans going 24/7 and I don't have to use the humidifier most of the time..I have so many plants and two waterfalls, that the humidity in the room is very good anyway..

Sometimes I get moisture build up around the windows and skylight, but I just wipe it off with a cloth when it get too bad..

The floors are bamboo..And this I will tell you. I did uin one part of it, because I never realized that condensation could form under the flat plastic containers that the pots sit on..I was quite upset. It was soaked under each flat plastic saucer because the floor is cool..So i had to run out to home depot and get the plastic saucers that are propped up off the floor, and now I am all set..The floor is ok now..

Thanks for stopping by. I don't think I ever saw you post before..Welcome!

• cool81
    14 years ago

Hi Mike
    Thanks for the welcome.
    lol now that I made it here it seems
    like I scared everyone out of here booo lol
    everyone

• birdsnblooms
    14 years ago

Hey Richie..how ya doing? Are you feeling better? How's your g/f, sorry forgot her name?

Are your Gardenias coming along? Any flowers? And your other plants?
    Did you get hit w/freezing temps in your part of Fl? Toni

• citrusnut
    14 years ago

Wow Mike! What a cool plant room! I loved looking at all your pictures. Your place feels so inviting and cozy. It was a joy to see. Thanks for sharing.

• cool81
    14 years ago

Hi Toni
    It's been a long time. we missed ya
    cold weather hit us here in Tampa FL
    I lost half my plants.
    all my rubber tree plants have dryed up.
    The gardenias are the ones who made it through
    all tho some have many yellow leaves but I hope it stops
    soon. they did flower tho.
    I have order $100.00's worth of plants to replace all
    that I have lost. not sure if the rubber tree plants
    have any hope of coming back next spring.
    my girl friend's name is Laura and she is doing good
    but upset with the lost of our plants.
    I am feeling ok. I'm not happy with the plants we lost
    but still things could be worst.
    the pictures are ready and when the new plants come
    I will then post thoses pictures to.
    I will e-mail them to everyone this week.
    what is new with you?
    Take Care
    Hugs
    Richie

• sissysimone
    14 years ago

I already did..Thanks though..

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Toni and Richie, and Citrusnut!

Thank you so much for coming here and taking a peek..All of you deserve a big thanks for anything that you might of shared here after all these years to make it possible!

Richie, you better stick around..These forums can be so fun and busy..Besides, if you miss Toni alot, you will find her here for sure. She is always big help here for many!

What's up with the bamboo flooring thing?

Hi sissysimoe...Thought we lost you there for a long time..So good to see you back for a bit!

• birdsnblooms
    14 years ago

Hey Richie? How ya doing? It's been a long time..For a while I thought you thought only one forum existed..lol..
    I hope you're well..feeling better than you were..hugs

Mike, How are you? No letter, yet..lol..j/k..

How many threads did the bamboo floorer hit? Sheesh..I got two emails from old threads today..both w/the bamboo basher, restarting both threads..what's up with that? I hope Administration or whomever is in charge removes this annoying ad. Toni

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No kidding Toni...

At least the good threads are popping up again...lol

I do owe you, and as soon as this week..I promise. 4 days of rest certainly has helped..lol

Hugs

Mike

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

OMG, what is up with those floor ads...we were hit big time at the Hoya forum(6-8) in a row,lol...Mike like you said old threads are being brought up front and center.

Hey guys...how's everyone doing? Good to see you all!

Mike love that plant room :o)

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Nancy....Boy I wish I was living where you are right now..Another 6 weeks of these sub-freezing temps and 2 more storms on the way..Get me and my plants otta here!

Thanks Nancy...I would gladly let you sit in my room for a week while I sit in your yard, eating one of your nice mangos..Deal?

Mike..:-))))

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Okay Mike, I think I can handle cold for one week...but that's it...no extensions,lol...We'll house swap for a week, Deal?

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Next month!!! We will even know how to care for each others plants!!

• cool81
    14 years ago

lol Toni
    Thanks to mike I found this place
    I'm feeling better thanks :-)
    now I have another problem it seems like my girlfriend
    Laura thinks I am a tickle me elmo doll.
    she tickes me until I turn blue help me please lol
    Toni: do know if a rubber tree plants come back
    if they where killed by very cold weather?
    hi Nancy.
    Long time no see I missed you to.
    how are you?
    Whats new with you?
    Mike: I am here for good lol. thanks for the welcome
    How are you?
    Whats new with you mike?
    Take Care
    Hugs to all my friends
    Richie

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC