question about spider plant

saleh14
11 years ago

Hi
I have a spider plant I received as a gift
It is 9 months

something root-like emerged from the bulb
I thought it was a mold
but I removed some of soil and I saw it arises from the plant itself not from the soil
Is this a beginning of a runner ?

or what is this ?

Comments (39)

• saleh14
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Happy new year :)

• saleh14
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Plz can any one help?

• brodyjames_gw
    11 years ago

It's new growth!

Nancy

• saleh14
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You mean new plant ?

This post was edited by saleh14 on Wed, Jan 2, 13 at 1:53

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

I've never seen a spider plant do that, but there's a lot of things I've never seen... Can you show a pic of the whole plant?

• saleh14
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is the pic of my plant

I will upload a second pic in another post
    because I don't know how to upload more than one with the same post

• saleh14
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You can see they get larger and slightly turn green

this is the first spider plant I have

so I can't guess what happens with it

11 years ago

Interesting. It does look like new growth tips.

Does that pot have a drain hole? The soil looks very dense and muddy.

• saleh14
    Original Author
    11 years ago

yeah there is one drainage hole at the center of the bottom

I made this soil by mix one part peat , one part garden soil and one part red soil because red soil dry rapidly and I want to save the plant from root rot with every watering

I am very attached to this plant :-)

and you said it's new growth
    do u think it is another plant or a stolon?

thank u for ur help :-)

11 years ago

You're welcome, for what little I have to say. If plain green spider plants do that, I've never noticed. Brief experience with the variegated ones was too long ago to speak about in general, but I would have remembered seeing one do that if I saw it.

I would urge you to read about soils in general in some of the other discussions here. Your goal of wanting something that dries rapidly is good, but the mix you have made sounds like it has zero tiny air pockets in it, which, IME is much more important than just the speed at which it dries (which is dependent on other factors like the pot size in relation to the root ball) but the two are usually directly connected and intimately related. Most growers would not put any actual soil in pot, and most would also not use much if any peat.

repotting & soil pics.

Scroll down this one to see more pics.

Good stuff to know.

• jojosplants
    11 years ago

What is Red soil? Clay?
    It looks too heavy and that it will retain too much water.
    Taking soil from the yard and putting it in a container just doesn't work. :-(
    You may want to consider a different, better draining mix.

JoJo

• saleh14
    Original Author
    11 years ago

purpleinopp
    that's very useful and interesting
    thanks alot
    I will read more about mixtures of soils and try repotting my plant to a better mix in spring time or after being potbound because I didn't notice anything bad that the plant suffer from until this moment :)
    I will post more pic if I see something new gets

JOJO
    thanks for ur advice I will learn more and try
    ,I am new garden grower

try searching with google image for (red soil)

I don't know it's common name ( if there is )
    I just bring it from my friend's garden

11 years ago

I hope you do post some more pics of those growths after they have had a chance to do - whatever it is they're going to do. Curious!

Even if plants grow extremely well in the soil of the ground, it just doesn't work well when put in a pot. I bet we all wish it were that easy, I know I do! After doing some reading, you may want to try to find a better potting mix that's ready to use in a bag, or try mixing something of your own. If you know people in your area who grow potted plants, it could be helpful to ask them about what they put in their pots. I have no idea what might be available in your country but you should be able to apply the ideas you read to the materials you have around or for sale in stores near you.

Just to get your mind started, I think your plant would grow better in a pot of gravel than what it's in now. That would be the opposite of the extreme you currently have. Neither situation is optimal, so I hope you can find something that's somewhere in the middle, that holds moisture briefly (no excess,) with spaces between the particles to allow the roots to breathe.

There can be many successes in "bad soils" but they are usually very short-lived, most plants can't grow well like that for a long time. By the time an issue is noticeable and recognized, it can be too late for some plants. Unfortunately, we see a lot of those here. It's much easier to not let plants get unhealthy than to try to rehabilitate one that is. This is something that even people with decades of experience can have trouble with sometimes, so I'm glad you have such a forgiving plant as a spider for learning. Although it's a challenge to keep them looking fantastic for extended periods, (I think this is mostly due to water treatments like fluoride and chlorine, which may be very different where you are) it will take a lot more abuse than many other plants, (and I know it's not your intention to treat your plant badly. You're here asking for help, a good first step.)

• dsws
    11 years ago

Are you sure it is a spider plant? I'm no expert, but those new shoots don't look like anything I've seen from a spider plant.

11 years ago

Hi dsws, welcome to Gardenweb! I was wondering that too, but have no idea what other plant it could be.

• saleh14
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi again
    My friend who gave me this plant told me that it is a spider plant
    anyway If u think it is not then what it could be ? is there another plant looks like it ?

please can you show me a pic for a spider plant when it produces a runner? I mean when the runner still short I just want to compare with mine ( In the case if it really is

• maria_c
    11 years ago

From what I've seen on my spider plant, new growth always comes from the center! And spider plants also put off their little pups from the center as well...
    I'd second the idea that this is not a spider plant.
    I did some research and it might be bichetii grass! It grows from a rhizome like root ball (or bulb-like?) which would explain the hard offshoots. Spider plants always have spindly little roots. I've attached a link to some pictures.
    and here's one showing the bulb-like root system...http://www.flickr.com/photos/jayjayc/3331283184/lightbox/

I tried to insert a hyperlink on that but couldn't...sorry

Here is a link that might be useful: comparison between spider plants and bichetii grass

11 years ago

your pic. I don't see any baby leaves in this pic. Plain green C. comosum also makes bulb-like roots like that, but I've never seen plantlets come from them. I think I would notice tiny little leaves suddenly coming up in a pot of established plants. But that doesn't mean another Chlorophytum couldn't do that.

I don't understand this sentence:

"Bichetii Grass (aka False Lily Turf, Siam Lily, botanical name: Chlorophytum bichetii) is in the same genus as Spider Plant, a very common variegated form of Chlorophytum laxum." Is the author saying Chlorophytum laxum is spider plant or Bichetii grass? I think they meant to indicate the latter because earlier in the article it is noted that spider plant is C. comosum, but grammatically, the sentence indicates the former, leaving me confused about the author's point.

...But although an article about which plant belongs to which common name is interesting, there's really no right or wrong with a common name, even if you're the only one using one and everyone else disagrees. Most common names, luckily, refer to the same plant for almost everyone, but some, like daisy or cactus are basically meaningless. I think it's fine to call any similar-looking Chlorophytums spider plants, but that's worth as much as anyone else's opinion. DH says all of our potted plants are named Steve. I don't argue with him. In any case, it's interesting to discuss, glad you brought it up! When I asked above if it could be something else, I meant something entirely different than a Chlorophytum, but should have made that more clear by using a correct botanical epithet.

• dsws
    11 years ago

As I remember, spider plant runners I've seen (I don't have a pic handy, nor is there one starting at the moment on my plants) start out growing up from the middle of the plant, and look pretty much like they will later. Maybe a little thinner.

Edit:
    There are various dracaenas with long, narrow, variegated leaves. But I don't know them well enough to guess whether any of them could be what you have.

This post was edited by dsws on Sun, Jan 6, 13 at 21:34

• maria_c
    11 years ago

@purpleinopp--I'm pretty sure all the author meant by that is that they are the same genus, different species. The spider plant's species is a common veriegated form of the genus. Or so it seems to me. But I'm okay with just calling it Steve too...

• saleh14
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks everyone who tried to help
    I am happy for the new growth whatever the plant it is and whatever the growth it is as well as I have new friends to talk with just like you

I will upload new pics when there is something new happens because the growth now is still the same with some increase in size

11 years ago

Me too, Saleh. It's fun to learn stuff you didn't know you wanted to know. All each of us has to talk about is experience, and "absent from experience" is definitely not the same thing as "impossible."

When I look at the base of your plant again, I'm concerned about its' health. I don't think the mature leaves should be that color at the base.

"growing up from the middle of the plant" I think I have seen them coming from the leaf crotches but wouldn't want to bet much either way without looking. I will do that the next time I'm at my Mom's house. The only ones I now have here in a pot are new babies.

They look best in the ground at my Mom's house (a mistake she made that I'm going to fix...)

I think we're all anxious to see what those little "things" are! Look forward to more pics, Saleh.

• dsws
    11 years ago

"coming from the leaf crotches"

Now that you say it, that sounds right. From next to relatively young leaves, so near the middle. But not from the very center, where the newest leaves are starting. Still, it's been quite a while since I had my previous spider plants, so we'll see when you get a chance to take a look.

• saleh14
    Original Author
    11 years ago

purpleinopp , that color at the base is due to the color of the soil when I water the plant .

are those spider plants ? they are large and pretty

here is a new pic of mine
    I think after I toke this pic that these little growths are new plants . there is a little think looks like new leave emerge from the little growth do u see it? what do u think?

11 years ago

Well I didn't forget about this, finally was at my Mom's house yesterday and it's not as easy as I thought it would be to inspect the mass of spider plant there. There's a ton of oak leaves all over/around them, and the babies of one plant can settle right in the midst of another plant, creating a big mass of confusion.

I found a lot of stolons coming from leaf crotches, but none from the very center of plants, and no sign of new plantlets forming at the base of mama plants. But can't rule it out. I'll be digging the rest of this out in the spring and will look at the pieces again as they are coming up.

How's this plant doing, Saleh?

• rachelthepoet
    11 years ago

Purple: Glad you brought this thread back to our attention, because it now applies to me. I have some new growth on one of my spider plants at the bottom. I keep this plant in a jar of water on my bathroom windowsill, so it was easy to see. I hope my second picture shows there are two weird little bottom sprouts!

{{gwi:117509}}

{{gwi:117510}}

11 years ago

I do see that, and it looks like the same plain green kind (although not the same as Saleh's plant.) Fascinating! I thought I was about finished with these plants, but there seems to be some experimenting to be yet done...

And, um, you couldn't have possibly expected to not get chided about those dead leaves. IME, those should be removed, the whole thing rinsed clean, then back in the water.

• rachelthepoet
    11 years ago

Yes, time for lots of spider plant experimentation. Fun fun fun.

haha, Purple! I KNOW I need to remove dead leaves! I am overdue for some plant grooming. Promise to be on top of it ASAP. :)

• saleh14
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi all :)
    thanks alot for your interest
    I am sorry for too late answering
    but I was too busy I got some difficult circumstances
    hope to accept my apologize

thank you
    Saleh

11 years ago

How are the sprouts doing, Rachel?

Good to hear from you, Saleh! What is your plant doing now?

I dug up that patch of spider plants at my Mom's house about 5-6 weeks ago, and put it all in a giant plastic tub. A couple weeks later it RAINED and the tub filled with water. A couple weeks ago, I tipped it over and set the tub over top of the pile of plant material. It's all still alive...

• rachelthepoet
    11 years ago

Purple:

The spider plants love you!!!

Here's an updated pic . I didn't realize how much this guy has grown until i returned to this thread! On the right side, you see one of the little sprouts is becoming its own plant. It looks like it is barely connected by a "green string" . Can't tell exactly what the connector is and didn't want to inspect too closely and break it!

11 years ago

I cropped just that part of the pic so it's bigger. Looks like a very short underground version of the stalks of babies, a stolon. That's fascinating. I don't know if this plant is technically a grass or not, but it definitely grows and takes over like one. Looks like I haven't been paying as much attention to these plants as I thought.

If Saleh wants to add a new pic, looks like it will show a new individual forming just like yours, Rachel.

Looks great, btw, nice green color! You could also nip off the stems that were connecting them to the mama if you feel like it. They do make a nice handle though, don't they?

Unless there's a reason you're waiting, which is fine also, those could go to soil anytime.

• rachelthepoet
    11 years ago

Thanks for enlarging and the compliments!

This has been my "experiment" spider in a jar. I'm not sure when I'll move it over to soil (maybe after our move in a few weeks). I might still keep the baby in the water. It's been nice having a "see-through " plant for a few months!

11 years ago

No doubt, this is one of a few plants notorious for being able to live for years in water. And I wouldn't pot it right before moving either, if you said that before, I forgot.

• saleh14
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello again
    purpleinopp
    That sprout was a new plant . I also changed the soil and moved the plant to lighter one just like what you advised me
    .The plant looks happier I think

Rachel
    I have another baby spider plants I put them in water , after spreading of new roots I move them to soil and this way works with me .

{{gwi:117511}}

• saleh14
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Closer pic

11 years ago

Hey, thanks for the update. Your plant looks great! Are the leaves from the new part variegated or plain? I can't tell for sure looking at the pics.

11 years ago

The "pile" of dug-up spider plant in my Mom's yard is still alive, since the beginning of November, so has had temps from 25-80 since being dug up. What a determined plant!

• saleh14
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The part is looks like the parent plant
    it is variegated
    now there is new sprout , I think this plant will get large very quickly
    I love spider plant I will purchase all types (variegated and
    green )
    and I would thank you for you interest :)