Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amccour

Norfolk Island Pine getting brown needles.

amccour
14 years ago

I can try getting a picture later.

My NIP is getting brownish needles on it. Now, usually the older branches start losing needles from the tips backwards. This is pretty slow, and when those needs turn brown it's more of a yellowing to a tannish color, drying out, and falling off. This is somewhat normal and possibly the result of occasionally getting too dry, possibly just normal leaf senescence, and possibly humidity. Not really anything I'm concerned about.

However, now I have a pretty new problem. Needles on the upper, actively growing branches are turning brown. A kind of dark, almost reddish/purplish brown. It's not very regular. It's also happening mid-stem, and not just at the tips.

Plant is home for the winter, so it's getting less light than in the dorm, and... I left my hygrometer there so humidity levels are a bit mysterious but should be more or less the same. Still, plant's been in similar conditions before and never had this problem.

Brown needles are still soft and pliable. Also, whatever happened only happened in the last week.

Any ideas?

Comments (7)