Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostalover360

Thanksgiving Cactus blooming at other times?

hostalover360
15 years ago

Hello, Does anyone have experience with Thanksgiving Cactus blooming at other times then just Thanksgiving? I think I heard that they can bloom an around Easter, if they do can anyone give me tips on how? Would be real helpful, thanks.

Comments (22)

• chazparas
    15 years ago

Hostalover,
    Mine bloom twice a year, they're just finishing up now and they'll bloom again around the end of February into March. Basically I'll be keeping them on the dry side and cool in a sun room that drops to the upper 30's at night sometimes. They'll be in there from now until end of Feb.
    So I think Dry and cool is key, they've been blooming this way for me for years. They are usually not in direct sun but bright light, it's a south facing room. This time of year they'll get some sun just before sun set, but in summer no direct light at all, just the bright filtered light that fills the room. I've never had thanks giving cactus bloom as late as easter for me. There are Easter Cactus, just got my first cutting of one this year, Can't wait to see what color it is. Sorry if I've rambled.
    Chaz

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    15 years ago

They have a mind of their own! Based on temps and day/night length.

• Mentha
    15 years ago

I've come to the conclusion that they have a mind of their own and bloom when and if they want to, it also has to do with the variety. Keep them well fed and watered when dry to the touch and they will bloom when they want. I've had 4 flushes on some like "White Christmas" others never bloom or bloom once. Cooler nights and longer nights may help, but are not necessary for blooming as much as well feeding and proper hygenics.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    15 years ago

Mine are all done blooming but I'm sure they'll set more buds. They usually do!

• hostalover360
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Everyone your information was helpful Now I looks foreword to mine hopfully blooming in March, I hope! I have an Easter cactus too, which I saved from being though in the Trash. I hope it blooms too!

• indy76km
    15 years ago

My Thanksgiving Cactus is starting to bud right now. I was disappointed in the fall when it didn't bloom. I recently moved it from one room to another which apparently triggered it.

• jeannie7
    15 years ago

Hosta, the Christmas Cactus is a light-sensitive plant and reacts to just how much it receives at the different times of the year.
    You don't say whether your plant is allowed to go outside, and if so, when it was brought in. Or possibly it is a plant that remains indoors, year round.
    The amount of light it receives then is dependent on where it is encouraged to bud and flower.

Many keep their Cactus out as long as possible in the autumn air...low temperatures that would otherwise harm some plants, such as geranium, will not hurt a C.C.
    In fact, as the temperatures drop, when brought in to a sunny window such temperatures influence the budding greatly.
    So plants that might flower at the U.S. Thankgsiving, can be delayed or hurried by the amount of light and cool temperatures they receive.
    Then, usually, such flowering that shows at Thanksgiving will be followed by a second rush just before, at, or maybe after Easter.

We can, therefore, say the plant is not the deciding factor whether it flowrs or not, but our giving it the temperatures and light it craves to bring it about.

As far as those plants that are kept indoors, yet flower beautifully, it is still the light-sensitivity they receive.
    Moving a Christmas Cactus while in bud or flower can cause buds to drop.
    While in flower, allow soil to dry down somewhat between waterings.

In spring they can be put outside when temperatures rebound but must not ever be hit with direct sun.

Much has been written about why buds might drop when they have remained in the same place.
    Christmas Cactus buds react to where they receive sunlight...or other light source.
    When watering, you might decide the kitchen is a better place to do that operation and when you take it back, it somehow didn't be placed in the exact same way it was before.
    Depending on just how much difference, the bud will turn its head back to where it was receiving such light before the watering....and if it is a big difference...such as from a north - to a south position, such chance might bring about bud drop. The bud has screwed itself around enough to cause it to screw its head off.

• birdsnblooms
    15 years ago

I still can't distinguish the difference between Christmas and Thanksgiving Cactus, but whatever they are bloom Nov, Dec, May and July. Not specifically in that order; they bloom throughout the year.
    Another member from GW who is w/o access to the internet, has a CC that blooms 4-6 times a year. And has been for years.
    Can't wait for buds to form on my Easter Cactus. As soon as Walmart has red, orange and purple flower Easter Cactus, I plan on adding red and purple..

Hosta, perhaps your plant is an Easter Cactus??? Flowers differ from Christmas/Thanksgiving Cactus. Do you have a pic w/your plant in bloom? Toni

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    15 years ago

Hey, Toni, the difference is most obvious in the leaf-segment and the flower - Christmas Cactus has smooth segments, and flowers that tend to point downward.

My CC is blooming late this year. Lots of buds are set to open!

Josh

• gobluedjm 9/18 CA
    15 years ago

Here's a great link on identifying the holiday cacti

Here is a link that might be useful: holiday cacti

• birdsnblooms
    15 years ago

Hi Josh..Christmas Cactus have smooth segments, and Thanksgiving Cactus have, bumpy segments? For real? Gotta ck my plants' segments..Okay, segments are smooth, so guess my cuttings/plants are Christmas cactus. Thanks.
    Your CC is just now blooming? How do you get yours to rebloom since you live in CA? Short-day treatment?

Goblue, I've looked at the pics on that link, what 3 yrs? lol..They look similar. Although I see okay, my eyes don't focus on objects. This is a problem I had since childhood. For me to see something clearly, I have to study it, thoroughly. Perhaps, side by side Christmas and Thanksgiving Cacti would help.
    Josh's explanation pretty much made it clear. Thanks, Toni

• bunnygurl
    15 years ago

Both of my C.C.s are in bud. They flowered for me in October and now they're doing it again for me now. Which I think is neat and just slightly odd. They're blooming anytime BUT Christmas...

15 years ago

Yeah, Toni, that's right! Thanksgiving cacti leaves have "soft points." Whereas the "Easter Cactus" has smoother leaf-segments, but a very very different type of flower from either Christmas or Thanksgiving cacti.

As far as blooming....I don't do anything at all.

Josh

• ks_girl
    15 years ago

Telling the differance between the holiday cactus is really confusing for a lot of people, usually people are refering to the same plant when they say Thanksgiving and Christmas cactus. These are what's available in stores between Thanksgiving and Christmas and have the wide leaf segments with jagged edges .
    But the true Christmas cactus are the ones with slim smooth edge segments and tend to hang down and these are what have been passed down through the generations and can seldom be found to purchase retail.
    Easter/Spring cactus are usually sold between Easter and Mothers day around here and the plant looks a lot like the real Christmas cactus but the flowers are very differant and they open and close up each day.

My Thanksgiving cactus start blooming around the first of November and bloom through December than rest for a few weeks and than bloom again but not as many flowers and my Christmas cactus are starting to bloom now.
    It's still a bit early for Easter cactus to be blooming in most areas.

I grow all three types and once you see them side by side it's really easy to tell the differance.

Jo

• summersunlight
    10 years ago

I just noticed buds on my thanksgiving cactus. It has never bloomed in spring before, so that's kind of cool. I think it's doing it at least partly because I gave it a drink of Dyna Gro bloom booster formula a couple of weeks ago.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

That's exciting, Summer! I look forward to a pic when the flowers open if you are able to add one.

• Rodden-Blessed
    10 years ago

Sometimes people confuse an Easter cactus with a Christmas or Thanksgiving cactus. Are you sure you have a Thanksgiving cactus? Its leaves will be more squared and more pointy than the Easter or Christmas as their leaves are usually not as broad and are sculpted but not pointy.

Despite which plant you have, it is likely the conditions it is in that cause it to bloom. The Christmas cacti I have in my office at work bloom much earlier and less often than the plants I have at home, and they were all started from the same mother plant. I've included the best closeup I have of a Christmas cactus so you can compare to yours if you'd like. The Easter cactus looks the same (at least to me) except its blossoms are different.

10 years ago

My Christmas Cactus is still blooming.....good Winter, I guess :-)

Josh

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

The original source of this info seems to be defunct, that's tragic! This seems to be an exact copy though. Once you recognize the difference between the 3, they are easy to differentiate in person, though not always from a single pic.

Rodden, that's a grand old plant - wow!!

Josh, it's your skillz!

• summersunlight
    9 years ago

This pic was taken today. I could fool people into thinking this was an Easter cactus, but as you can see from the spines it is really a Thanksgiving cactus that just happens to be blooming for Easter. :)

• Sandra Maria
    6 years ago

Blooming today in Dallas! It's in an east facing window that gets direct morning sun, but as the bloom is facing the inside of the house I'm wondering if it's getting far-red light from an indoor fixture? Apparently far-red light tells short-day plants when to bloom. Anyone know more about this?