Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zach_camping

Indoor Avocado Tree - WA State

zach_camping
9 years ago

Greetings!

I adopted a 15 year old avocado tree which I've now got in my living room. It' nearly the height of my ceiling (standard US height) and a bit bushy. On the drive, I had to crammed into my hatchback, so it may have stressed it out. We've had it for 2 weeks now and it seems to be drying up and leaves are turning yellow and/or dying. In the beginning my house bunny ate the bottom leaves (he was obsessed with them), but now it's trimmed up and there are tons of leaves higher. My house does not have a ton of light this time of year so I went to home depot and got a 120 watt blue "plant" bulb. I have been shining it on it for a few hours everyday to supplement natural light.

I picked up some organic fish poop at the store as well. I was thinking to put the light on a time, does anyone have any suggestions on how I should set up my timer? I really don't want the light on for more than 30 minutes at a time, so I was thinking to have it turn on and off every 30 minutes from 8AM to 5PM, does that seem fair? Any other suggestions for this indoor avocado plan to see it thrive? It's really cool and this year our christmas tree! Hopefully for many more years as well.

Comments (12)

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

turn on and off every 30 minutes from 8AM to 5PM, does that seem fair?

Does the the sunshine for 30 minutes then dull for the next 30min. only to shine again for 30 more from 8 AM - 5 PM every day in sequence ?

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Please post some images of the tree, the potting mix, the container, and the light exposure in the house.

Josh

• hottomato99
    9 years ago

Ok, I am dying to see a 8foot avocado indoor tree! Please post photos!!! What nomen was trying to say was, what is your reason for the grow light going off and on? Most folks providing supplemental indoor light keep it on as long as the plant will allow (continually). Avocados, like other fruit trees, require bright direct light, lots of air (to leaves AND root) appropriate humidity etc.

You mentioned that the tree has recently been moved. Was it previously living in a similar environment to WA? You guys are not know for your abundant sunshine!! How drastic was the change? Hope to see a photo.!

HT

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

Assuming you mean this bulb you said you dont want it on for at least 11 -14 consecutive hours per day every day
    In my opinion plant graves are the best lesson. What I've learnt is, not to habit aquiring plants beyond my means (One of many lessons)

May sound odd, but why would somebody' adopt' something that they have little to no experiance with and have no room for ?

• zach_camping
    Original Author
    9 years ago

nomen_nudum: In Seattle specifically? Sometimes. Where this plant is mean't to grow in the natural, absolutely not. I have some fire concern, I worry that if I leave the house with it on all day, it causes the potential for a fire, perhaps this is wrong thinking but I'd rather not kill the tree and my house in a fire. What do others do to prevent fire danger?

greenman28: Photo uploaded to this post. Thank You! I am am hoping to move soon, I have an offer on short sale (so time is really unknown at this moment) but the house has lofted three story ceilings and large windows in a much sunnier location. Really, I just need to make it survive until I obtain my new house (under these conditions). Then the plant will have a better life.

HotTomato99: Photo attached :) It was in a similar environment before, yes.

nomen_nudum: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-120-Watt-Agro-Plant-Light-BR40-Flood-Light-Bulb-415307/202768441 - That is the actual bulb. 1. I am new to gardening but had a very successful greenhouse harvest last summer. 2. I started an avocado seed last summer which is doing really well now 3. They had to get rid of this plant, so I took it for them promising I would do all I can to let it thrive. I figured I could get on a forum like this and find some knowledgeable/helpful people who may make this plant survive even with someone like me. Even though I am acquiring a plant beyond my means, I am preferably capable of learning and have made that my mission. The tree will not die. I will have much more room for it soon, and you can control the growth of an avocado tree from what I read.

Does anyone have a suggestion for how long realistically I should leave this bulb on it (and/or take breaks throughout) and how to be safer for fire hazard?

I very much appreciate any help. Thank You,

9 years ago

Needs a lot of light. A tree that size is going to be difficult to satisfy....which is why I chop mine down to such a small size for Wintering indoors.

Josh

• zach_camping
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Josh - do you have a photo of yours chopped down?

9 years ago

Yes, I do. I'll link you to a Thread I started to document the growing of the Avocado. The image I'm posting here shows how hard I chopped it this Fall.

Josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Avocado as a Container Plant III

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

What do others do to prevent fire danger ?
    There are alot of things anyone can do to prevent fire

My lighting is on as many as 14 continuous hours per day and isn't a concern as they are not a very good way to start a fire. Although they can dry out the air with out venting in the area/room of use hence I use a fan to help move air

Any UL listed bulb sold has also gone under a few fire prevention test your room looks safe enough to burn more than one bulb

Example I use 12 48 inch 32 watts 6500K CFL bulbs for 12 -14 hours per day each bulb is brighter then the one you had shown at 2700 lums per bulb with out any worries of fire.

Realisticly speaking for light time with total brightness you need to grow an avacado inside.

Even with my set up and concidering where it is. Time suggested use is a bit shy but could be increased Fact is even with all that bulb brightness I have it's certainly not bright enough with out the use of windows for added sun exposure.

With out getting into outside transitioning

Same outside sun on any given day passing though a window is less effective

Displacment of heat also prevents any fire from devloping there is a wide range of devices used to displace heat. It's a coincidence that this same device also helps plants breath..

I dont take things personaly and would rather ignore certain comments I'm not sure why you would protest a simple suggestion with out the expectation of more information that will be helpfull for you as well. Intentions from some of us is that you try to follow some advice over protest with out the added drama.

This post was edited by nomen_nudum on Wed, Dec 17, 14 at 9:44

• Avalover
    9 years ago

As I sit in a jury waiting room to see if my name is called today or tomorrow, I found this web site, and happily, the posts about indoor avocado trees. My "Ava" now looks like a tree for sure, but it is going to touch the ceiling soon. I pinched it back a couple of times, but from what I have read here, I should have pruned it a couple of times by now.
    The tree is probably 6 feet tall. The pot is very big and the leaves are green and lush. I think the trunk is nice and thick. How do I decide where to prune? I read here about triplets, etc., and don't know what that means.
    Can someone be more specific? I don't want to damage "Ava" and I can't take her outside. She gets a lot of light from the top floor of our condo with its large windows.

• RaptorRed
    9 years ago

You need to try to get a bulb with many more lumens. It's not bright enough. I'm in Wa state too. Wish I could grow an avocado tree!!

• zach_camping
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hey all - it's been growing really well, it's looking great!

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor