Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Freaking out because of scale

Posted by Jaycee27 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 22, 13 at 23:20

I was clipping my basil plant so I could dry some of it. While doing so I noticed it was sticky and I found little oval, brown stripped spots. In a panic I asked my boyfriend to come look. Well, we both think they look like bugs. And so my fear is confirmed.... scale.

Immediately I start thinking about the little palm that had been sharing the kitchen window sill with the basil. The tips of his leaves have started to turn brown and he wasn't looking too happy. I thought he wasn't getting enough light so I moved him to the bedroom window sill, where about six more plants live. I go and check him and sure enough he has little brown oval spots at the base of his leaves.

Now I am in a full blown panic!! I have roughly 25-30 plants in my apartment, nearly half of which are in the bedroom. The palm is back to the kitchen by himself and the basil is sitting on the porch in about 30 degree weather with a foot and a half of snow. I can always grow more basil. The ivy, palm, aloe, dumb cane, scheff, and baby spiders, as well as a few other, I can't just get more.

Any help on how to treat the already infected and how to prevent the scale from spreading would be very much appreciated. I am almost in tears because I keep thinking all of my plants will get it and die. :(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Freaking out because of scale

So sorry that happened! One of my palms had scale on it last winter. It took a few hours to clean every part I could reach with Q-tips & rubbing alcohol. I didn't think I did that great of a job and have always expected to need to do it again but I haven't seen any more brown bumps on it. The ones I saw on my tree were on the trunk, never saw anything on the leaves but I cleaned them too. I did remove the lowest couple leaves because I was worried the scales were down in the hollow where the petiole meets the trunk but didn't see anything in there after I took them off.

o

Thank you for the advice! Do you have any ideas on how I cam prevent it from spreading? I've separated The infected plant but I'm worried about my other plants catching it.

o

Naturally which takes lots of persistence is to spray Rosemary, or Horticultural, or Kneem oil over a periods of weeks, once a week....

Fast and effective chemically is systemically...I use Bayer Systemic and water into my plants outside on any day over 40...

Both will work, one working much faster than the other..

The only problem with systemics is that they do not kill spider mites and may even encourage them to populate any plant..But, but they are a lot easier in my opinion to take care of and worth the effort.

Of course, with systemic of any other chemical spray, one needs to be cautious about edible plants, if anything, avoid using them.

Mike

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Tue, Dec 24, 13 at 17:02

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here