Oh My, could this tall shrub be ...

Posted by jujujojo none (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 7, 13 at 23:27

photo 4_zps6191fc6b.jpg

photo 5_zps5512faea.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oh My, could this tall shrub be ...

Wow.... Where did you take/see this picture?

Planto

o

Wow.... Where did you take/see this picture?

Planto

o

I don't know, but I vote some kind of Euphorbia, perhaps even related to Pointsetta.

o

Posted by pirate_girl Zone7 NYC (My Page) on Sat, Dec 7, 13 at 23:35

I think they are indeed Poinsettia. Originally from Latin America, the picture is taken in Southern China.

o

My mother lives in Costa Rica. The stores sell poinsettas at Christmas, and after bloom she just plops them in the yard out front. Right now they're about 4' - 5' high. She has an older "original" variety and a couple newer, fuller varieties. Really cool to go there at Christmas and see poinsettia bushes in bloom!

o

Interesting!

Planto

o

Posted by deanna_in_nh 5a/4b (My Page) on Sun, Dec 8, 13 at 9:33

How wonderful! It would be interesting to plant some of the newer varieties with wider "petals" on your mom's land.

o

Looks like a poinsettia to me as well. When I lived in Hawaii, one of the houses in the neighborhood had one in their front yard. It was about 6ft tall and 6-8ft wide. Bloomed every winter.

o

Yes, jujujojo, that's exactly the difference! The newer ones have wider and darker leaves, two traits that make them appear more lush in both foliage and "flora" than the original poinsettia.

There are also magenta impatience growing wild everywhere, even in trashcans outside. A pretty weed down there. So, now I know that magenta was the original impatience color, too! If it wasn't original, it's taken over every roadside and hill.

o

I saw them growing outside in yards in Phoenix, Az. and blooming when it was cool, but I can't really remember when. I really didn't notice them until they bloomed. I think they really couldn't get to their true potential because there was a frost or two various times that would knock them back, but the one I saw was chest high on me-about four feet.

o

Posted by aseedisapromise z4.5 SD (My Page) on Sun, Dec 8, 13 at 12:08

How about a protected location?

o

Here is the same plant today in zone 10. It is also in a protected location from cool wind. It is very large. Notice it has reached above the roof of the second floor.

photo 0_zps5756e891.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here