Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fern rescue help

Posted by sarah_thompson (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 13, 12 at 23:46

This fern was photographed on it's bad side, there is great gorgeous full growth on it's other side. It's a variegated variety of fluffy nepholepis it seems. I rescued this by yanking it out of the dirt before maintenance staff carted the pot to the landfill. As you can see, there's a huge patch dead stalks, and there isn't much of a root ball. What do I do??? I'm not sure how to go about getting rid of that dead patch. And it's bone-dry, the fronds are feeling delicate. Can I use "tropical" or "cactus" or "black" soil? I don't have any other soil mixing ingredients on hand, and it'll be 24hrs before I can get some... what should I do with it until then? Trying to salvage this beautiful plant!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fern rescue help

My neighbor gave me some ferns that looked like that last summer. They didn't all get potted right away and are doing great now. The dead patch, you just have to start picking at the dead bits and pulling them off. Getting rid of that will make the rest look better. Some may need to be snipped so you don't tear the whole thing apart. As it grows new fronds, you can cut the old ugly ones off. Lots of potential, I would have rescued it too.

This post was edited by purpleinopp on Fri, Dec 14, 12 at 7:31

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here