Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oxalis

Posted by mrscrazycatlady 4-5 ontario (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 18, 13 at 23:59

I have a burgandy oxalis that lives on my deck spring/summer and then I bring it in to the back room where it goes dormant for a few months and then we begin again.

One of my cats knocked it off the shelf the other day and it is now unpotted. The root system seems to consist of these stalklike things that I have no idea which is top or bottom to repot. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oxalis

Don't worry about them. Partially fill a container with slightly moist potting mix, lay some of the root sections on top, then cover with more mix. They will sprout when it's time.

o

Lay them down horizontally and dont bury them to deep in the soil.
Christine

o

This is probably a different kind but the bulb structure should be similar. If you can see roots on one side, that's the down-side. The upper structure bulbs and the lower 'string of balls' ones can be separated and both will grow.

This is O. crassipes. If yours has purple leaves, it's O. triangularis (AKA O. regnellii.)

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 19, 13 at 17:55

These plants respond very well to a cool, dry rest over-winter. I used to pry them away from my mother (she got them from her mother) every Sep and return them on Mother's Day. After I took them, I let them go completely dry in a cool spot in the basement. Some time in Apr, I would lift them from the pot, bare-root, replant them in fresh, fast-draining, 'damp only' soil. It takes 2-3 weeks for them to wake up and start pushing new growth. The cool/dry rest really revitalizes the plants.

Al

o

Thanks all. I think I was making it more complicated than it need be. Happy to know that the winter rest I've been giving it is the correct management.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here