Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buddyfly

Mosaic Mirror with 'Texture'

Buddyfly
18 years ago

Hi folks! Just popped over to the gallery to post some pics of a mirror I did a mosaic on. It is for indoors only and isn't hypertufa at all - just silicone glued the pieces to the framed mirror I bought at Walmart and used regular grout. I then carved the 'texture' into the grout while it was hardening. Then I took some drywall compound and made the little 'rosettes' around the inside edge.

Was a very fast and rewarding and easy project to do! Also recycled two teacups and one saucer a friend of mine was throwing out because they were cracked. They were perfect for this project.

Marly

Before

{{gwi:65838}}

After

{{gwi:65839}}

Closeup

{{gwi:65840}}

Comments (7)

• clairdo2
    18 years ago

Just gorgeous. You did a great job.

• buckyforce
    18 years ago

How cool! I love the rosettes! I am wondering if one couldn't use all those cake decorating tips to pipe some pretty awesome embellishments and borders using drywall compound! It is about the same consistency of as frosting...Ohhhhhhh No! ANOTHER technique to try out!

So...how'd you make those wonderful rosettes?

• Buddyfly
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Bucky, I was thinking that a piping bag would work great with drywall compound too! It really is just like icing a cake! lol

To make the rosettes, I just put semi-equal dabs of the drywall compound, one touching the next. Then I took a popsicle stick and just made a swirl on the top of each dab. I tried using various items to do the swirl with, but they all pretty much came up with the same effect so it doesn't matter what you use.

It was nice to make something for the INSIDE of my home for a change... don't have to worry about freeze/thaw, or getting too hot, or the sun fading the colours!

You sound like me with waaaaaaaaaay too many ideas that you want to try. Sorry (NOT! LOL) that I got you started on another idea! lol

Marly

• rockyn
    18 years ago

Absolutely fantastic mirror makeover! Now I'll be looking for old mirrors at garage sales...

Ohhh, and my wedding cake building experience can finally find a simple outlet.

Question. How durable is the drywall compound? Is it brittle or does it dry pretty hard?

• Buddyfly
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you Rocklyn. I think that is awesome that you already have cake decorating experience - hope you post pictures of what you come up with.

Drywall compound is very hard. I tried to press my fingernail into it just now and it didn't leave a mark. Keep in mind that it is for indoors only. And I bought the pre-mixed stuff, not the dry form.

I would have liked more pieces of the 'fill' bits... it would have brought out more of the colour that was on the teacups. But I only had those two cups.

Keep us posted as to what you make! I'm very curious!

• ncgardengirl
    18 years ago

Hi Marly,
    Your mirror is beautiful. You once again did a great job. It was a boring mirror until you worked your wonderful magic on it. Just beautiful! Would love to have one as well!
    Thx for sharing yet another terrific Marly creation!
    :) Fran

• klinger
    18 years ago

I think it turned out very shabby chic looking. love the whole project. The rosettes are a clever finishing touch.
    Cindy

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!