Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
painterman_gw

green concrete dye

painterman
15 years ago

I am looking for a green concrete dye for my hypertufa, does anyone know where I can find this. I live in GA.

Comments (17)

• Mike Larkin
    15 years ago

Look for Davis Concrete Color - It is a powdered dye that can be obtained at your local concrete supply store ( where you would order a yard of concrete to be delivered).

• painterman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Did that they have discontinued the green for some reason.
    thanks

• Mike Larkin
    15 years ago

See - Willow Green

You still would need to call your local supplier - Davis may not sell direct

Here is a link that might be useful: Davis

• painterman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks I emailed the Davis company maybe they will be able to help me. I might give some green clothes dye a try 2 dollars for a green that is close to moss green.

• Belgianpup
    15 years ago

Don't try Rit dye, it fades badly in fabric, and that was what it was DESIGNED for!

I read a few years back that the blue and green concrete stains would turn blackish (mold?) if used outdoors, even if sealed, although they were perfectly fine if used indoors. I don't know if there have been changes in those dyes since then to avoid that.

What I would suggest is going to your friendly neighborhood hardware store that mixes paint, and ask to buy some of the high-density colorant they use. Some places even have containers of those paste-like colorants that you can buy. They're always in the paint department, not the concrete department.

Sue

• jamesmaloy
    15 years ago

Hey there is an ebay store that sells concrete molds and dyes etc. http://stores.ebay.com/Olde-World-Concrete-Molds I may not have done this correctly I am not a wiz at cut copy and pasting one of my nieces showed me how a few weeks past. But this fellow sells lots of neat stuff.
    James Maloy

• Mike Larkin
    15 years ago

I have used the green dye from davis.
    My container has been outside all winter and it looks great. I can not attest to how it will look long term but it looks good so far - For best results use white portland

hope this helps

I did not use white portland in this piece.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:66176}}

• painterman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the info, I really like the image of the green pot plantman56 posted.I want to keep the hypertufa look.

• painterman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

plantman56 did you use the Davis dye with the green pot? I talked to a guy at Davis and he wants to know ,says he would like to put the image on their web site to show things made using their dyes

• valolson1
    15 years ago

I'm one of those people who prefer a more textured look for coloring hypertufa. If you want a green look, you can use one of the popular water-based wood stains you can find in the "big box" or paint stores. The color charts for that product will list a whole range of greens...along with more standard colors. There's an awesome botanical green and vertigris, along with lighter greens like jade and the list goes on. I use them on my casted leaves and blended on my ginger pots. I may start with a darker green and dab on a lighter green to give it a look of antiquity. I like to top it off with a lighter oil-based wood stain like a pine or cedar, for a bit of blush. In the world of hypertufa, you can just let your imagination run wild.

• Mike Larkin
    15 years ago

Painterman
    Yes I used the Davis dye - If you have him send me an email I will give him permission to use the photos.
    Thanks for asking to use my photo.
    I just had a situation where a large nursery stole one of my hypetufa trough photos from GW and posted on their website. Never asked and they won't remove. So this may be the last photo I post. See my post on the Professional Forum.
    I really like their dyes, The photo below is not a great exposure, but the green and tera cotta is great.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:66179}}

• concretenprimroses
    15 years ago

Hey tell us the nursery and we can all give them crap!
    kathy

• Mike Larkin
    15 years ago

thanks Kathy
    appreciate you interest
    I guess they must have figured it out.
    I checked today and the photo and the listing for the hypertufa class were removed.
    I am hoping it was an oversit by a web designer that did not know how much I surf the web.
    No need to email - that is all that I wanted - just for them to take it off.

Mike

• painterman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

(plantman56)computer hard drive crashed, got on the laptop lost info for Davis but going to try and retrive the data let you know how that goes.

• Fleur
    15 years ago

I thought I read somewhere that you could add craft paint to your water before you add it to your dry mix.

• Mike Larkin
    14 years ago

Painterman, the link for the concrete dye that I use is listed below. It comes in small bags - powder.
    Easy to mix - lots of great colors

Here is a link that might be useful: DC

• ladycraft
    14 years ago

I have used craft paint. I used the cheap stuff on sale for 33 cents and used 2 bottles for the top half of a pot about 10" across and 6"deep. I just added until I thought it was what I wanted. It's been outside for 2-3 mo and still looks the same. Kathy

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH