Return to the Hypertufa Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
green concrete dye

Posted by painterman (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 18, 09 at 2:23

I am looking for a green concrete dye for my hypertufa, does anyone know where I can find this. I live in GA.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: green concrete dye

Look for Davis Concrete Color - It is a powdered dye that can be obtained at your local concrete supply store ( where you would order a yard of concrete to be delivered).

o

Did that they have discontinued the green for some reason.
thanks

o

See - Willow Green

You still would need to call your local supplier - Davis may not sell direct

Here is a link that might be useful: Davis

o

Thanks I emailed the Davis company maybe they will be able to help me. I might give some green clothes dye a try 2 dollars for a green that is close to moss green.

o

Don't try Rit dye, it fades badly in fabric, and that was what it was DESIGNED for!

I read a few years back that the blue and green concrete stains would turn blackish (mold?) if used outdoors, even if sealed, although they were perfectly fine if used indoors. I don't know if there have been changes in those dyes since then to avoid that.

What I would suggest is going to your friendly neighborhood hardware store that mixes paint, and ask to buy some of the high-density colorant they use. Some places even have containers of those paste-like colorants that you can buy. They're always in the paint department, not the concrete department.

Sue

o

Hey there is an ebay store that sells concrete molds and dyes etc. http://stores.ebay.com/Olde-World-Concrete-Molds I may not have done this correctly I am not a wiz at cut copy and pasting one of my nieces showed me how a few weeks past. But this fellow sells lots of neat stuff.
James Maloy

o

I have used the green dye from davis.
My container has been outside all winter and it looks great. I can not attest to how it will look long term but it looks good so far - For best results use white portland

hope this helps

I did not use white portland in this piece.

Here is a link that might be useful: Green hypertufa

o

Thanks for all the info, I really like the image of the green pot plantman56 posted.I want to keep the hypertufa look.

o

plantman56 did you use the Davis dye with the green pot? I talked to a guy at Davis and he wants to know ,says he would like to put the image on their web site to show things made using their dyes

o

I'm one of those people who prefer a more textured look for coloring hypertufa. If you want a green look, you can use one of the popular water-based wood stains you can find in the "big box" or paint stores. The color charts for that product will list a whole range of greens...along with more standard colors. There's an awesome botanical green and vertigris, along with lighter greens like jade and the list goes on. I use them on my casted leaves and blended on my ginger pots. I may start with a darker green and dab on a lighter green to give it a look of antiquity. I like to top it off with a lighter oil-based wood stain like a pine or cedar, for a bit of blush. In the world of hypertufa, you can just let your imagination run wild.

o

Painterman
Yes I used the Davis dye - If you have him send me an email I will give him permission to use the photos.
Thanks for asking to use my photo.
I just had a situation where a large nursery stole one of my hypetufa trough photos from GW and posted on their website. Never asked and they won't remove. So this may be the last photo I post. See my post on the Professional Forum.
I really like their dyes, The photo below is not a great exposure, but the green and tera cotta is great.

Here is a link that might be useful: Last picuture

o

Hey tell us the nursery and we can all give them crap!
kathy

o

thanks Kathy
appreciate you interest
I guess they must have figured it out.
I checked today and the photo and the listing for the hypertufa class were removed.
I am hoping it was an oversit by a web designer that did not know how much I surf the web.
No need to email - that is all that I wanted - just for them to take it off.

Mike

o

(plantman56)computer hard drive crashed, got on the laptop lost info for Davis but going to try and retrive the data let you know how that goes.

o

I thought I read somewhere that you could add craft paint to your water before you add it to your dry mix.

o

Painterman, the link for the concrete dye that I use is listed below. It comes in small bags - powder.
Easy to mix - lots of great colors

Here is a link that might be useful: DC

o

I have used craft paint. I used the cheap stuff on sale for 33 cents and used 2 bottles for the top half of a pot about 10" across and 6"deep. I just added until I thought it was what I wanted. It's been outside for 2-3 mo and still looks the same. Kathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hypertufa Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here