Return to the Hypertufa Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Has anyone tried this yet?

Posted by terry3122 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 3, 07 at 9:20

Hello to everyone,

I am a newbie to using hypertufa but I am hooked. This forum is definitely inspirational. My first question is I am planning on making a dog house that resembles a Hobbit's home from the movie Lord of the Rings. I want it to visually meld into the backyard... has anyone used wire mesh or something similar to strengthen their tufa with? Also I found a product called Muddle... a hypertufa mix...has anyone used this? If so, where did you purchase it from? Here's their website... www.muddleart.com

Thank you for your help.

Terry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Has anyone tried this yet?

I have used wire hardware cloth in making troughs in some of my classes. It works well if the mix is rather "dry" to minimize the tendency for the mix to fall off the vertical walls. I have never use it for anything as large as you plan. Try making a smaller trough first to get the feel for it. I also made a small "Adobe" house using the wire cloth. The gable roof was made in one piece and colored different than the house. The mix used made it appear like adobe without separate brick marks.

o

I second fred on the dryish tufa with the wire mesh

I actually use chicken wire to help the tufa have something to cling on to when doing long vertical surfaces, such as the wall on your dog (hobbit) house. You wante a peanut butter consistensy... something that wont run, but will also not crumble.

Also, if you want the "hobbit" house effect, I found out, by accidentally using too much dye, that the dyes from Olde World (particularly terracotta and the bright yellow-rust color) will give you that effect. And it wont wear out with time.

As far as the pre-mix, I don't know if it'll be easier and cheaper to just buy your portland (white), sand and peat on your own. It's not that difficult to mix, although, a doghouse will involve a LOT of mixing.

You're going to want rounded edges, so I'd probably dress an existing structure so you will have something lighter that also requires less tufa

Good luck on your project and be sure to post some pictures :-)

o

I have played around with hypertufa and concrete sculpture using sytrofoam wrapped in chicken wire as a base. It has held up fine. I don't know how big your dog is (smaller than our Lab I hope), but your hobbit will no doubt need some support other than hypertufa. Maybe a rigid foam board covered with the wire and tufa would work. Good luck!

o

gord_nm beat me to it. Styrofoam is completely stable as long as no UV light hits it. It also provides good insulation. The wire mesh with cement (ferrocement) can be remarkably strong.

This doghouse could wind up being a permanent structure.

o

• Posted by ulric 8 NW Hou (My Page) on
    Wed, May 2, 07 at 14:18

...old pos, but for information sake. Check out how some of the monolithic dome homes are done.

I'd recommend some rebar, with hardware cloth or something similar over it... then apply your mix to both sides.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hypertufa Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here