Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginamarina101

Hens 'n Chicks Rock

ginamarina
19 years ago

My mom has the perfect rock for her Hens 'n Chickens plants. We have no idea where it came from, but it has many indentations, about the size of golf balls. The plants stick right into them, and overwinter! The rock is roughly a foot square (round?) LOL. I know I can't match how pretty it is being natural and having some crystalline portions, but I'd love to give my hens n chicks a place to live besides old plastic strawberry planters.

Any ideas?

...off to buy some duct tape :-)

~Gina

Comments (32)

• tufaenough
    19 years ago

Well you can never have too much duct tape.:)
    Did you know that duct tape now comes in clear variety suitable for outdoor use.
    I need me some of that!
    I don't know why I need it, I just do.

Now could you post a picture of that there chicken rock I know we would all like to see it.:)

• Wayfind
    19 years ago

I have got one of those rocks! I'm not sure what it is, either, but some of the 'holes' go all the way through.. I've seen very small versions at a beach way up north, the one we have is about a foot all the way around, also.. I think my 6 year old hid it somewhere because I had completely forgotten about it until seeing this post, haven't seen it for a year or two and now I am going to be looking EVERYWHERE for it. I also have a Hens and Chicks plant that needs a home- go figure. That will be interesting to keep in mind for a future 'tufa project!
    If I manage to find it soon, I'll post a picture also.

• ginamarina
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Here is Mom's rock-full-o-hens-n-chicks! there is another photo if you click next :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos

• Kalinka
    19 years ago

Let's see...um, maybe tufa with water balloons as the exotic ingredient? ;o)

Colleen

• tufaenough
    19 years ago

Here's an idea. I didn't think on this too long so it could be flawed.
    You know what happens when you heat a styrofoam cup in the oven. It shrinks.
    Now if you had styrofoam chunks, golf ball size.
    First make a smaller tufa rock as the base, big enough so you can cover it with another 2 inches or so of tufa to get the final size.
    Once the first rock has hardened coat it with 2 inches of tufa. You could use all sorts of colors and even broken glass for crystals. Now bury all those styrofoam chunks everywhere you want a hole.
    Cure the rock then bake it in your barbecue to shrink out the styrofoam chunks.

• Jilly_W
    19 years ago

Tufaenough, could you wrap the styrofoam chunks with plastic wrap, then they should just pop out. Or you could bury those really tiny plastic plant pots, that will come out easily.

Jilly

• tufaenough
    19 years ago

Great idea Jilly.
    Wrapping anything with plastic wrap would work.
    Balls of perlite or even wet peat.
    Then it would just all fall out when you ripped out the plastic wrap. A little oil on the wrap would help it from sticking.
    This should create perfect holes for the Chicks.

• ginamarina
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I was thinking "golf balls" after I first mentioned it, then I wondered even mud balls that could blow out with the hose later... the styrofoam idea sounds good too.

Would the beginnings of the great 'tufa rock be just, say, an upturned bowl or pail?

I sure wish I could keep up with my own ideas!! =)

• Bees1
    19 years ago

Do you think that the rock your mum has may be a pumice rock?

• ginamarina
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I don't think so - it's not light or porous like pumice. The plants just grow in the little divets. I really don't know what kind of rock it is. It has shiny crystally spots on some of the edges.

• Louisiana_greetings
    19 years ago

I have some rocks that look like that, they came from the beach (honeymoon island) near clearwater FLA..
    bonnie

• rustinj
    19 years ago

Wow, that's so cool. It looks like something you would see in a coral reef.

• DebZone8
    19 years ago

I was thinking about Colleen's water balloons idea...what if you put sand in small balloons and used them to make the round voids? No wrinkles and if they get stuck, the balloon could be broken and sand poured out.

Cool rock! It would be fun to try something like that.

Deb

• joyd
    19 years ago

You could use ice cubes - from the trays that have the rounded bottoms. You would have to make it in sections. On the bottom of the container(which will be the top of the planter) pile in ice, cover with tufa then when almost set flip the mold on its side pile in more cubes cover with tufa let set a bit etc. etc. as the ice melts the shape will stay (if you don't pile on too much tufa before it's set) ? maybe.......

• Jilly_W
    19 years ago

This is my tiny rock planter for hens and chicks.

Jilly

{{gwi:67428}}

• ginamarina
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Cool! I made a "lump" of 'tufa after this thread began. I think it is dry enough to smear it and glob some more texture to it. Has anyone come up with any other ideas for "cups" on the inside? We have balloons, styrofoam, anything wrapped in plastic wrap. I might tackle this tomorrow, rain predicted... any other thoughts? :-)

Gina

• tufaenough
    19 years ago

Well Gina I was thinking what would be easy to remove and not a problem if it wasn't.
    I think wet wadded tissue or paper mache balls.
    Then once the tufa has cured you can just blow the paper out with a water hose.

• Jilly_W
    19 years ago

Marly, that is awesome! It is going to look so great when it is planted up - pics please when you have done this.

Jilly

• ginamarina
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Well, I got to the second step today - looks pretty funny with the colored newspaper scrunchies in it!!
    I embedded a couple pieces of glass, but I didn't like how it looked. There are a few spare pebbles in it, and also some streaks of reddish dye. I had some black glitter that I even sprinkled onto it!

{{gwi:67434}}

It kind of looks like a colorful cowpie now, I put the bag over it. The photo has the date on it, so I can cheat and mess with it early ;-)

{{gwi:67436}}

Here is a link that might be useful: pics

• ginamarina
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I've been waiting patiently. Took all the toweling and newspaper out and gave her a milk bath a couple days ago. I think it will see sun this week. :) How long before I can put my plants in it??

{{gwi:67437}}

Here is a link that might be useful: pics of my new chicken rock

• StoneCrone
    18 years ago

I have packed a deep bowl with tufa (lined with plastic) turned it out in about 2 hours - then scooped out the holes and carved 'rock-like' crevices and flat planes. This will bring down the height a little since it is still soft. Then you can even take a low side and lift it with a pancake turner and jiggle/drop ... for a big crack to put some small trailing sedums. Works great! It would be cool with a crushed tempered glass vein running through too!

• Mykarma
    18 years ago

...My first thought when I saw this subject heading was, "Yes, hens 'n' chicks DO rock, but what's the question?

I guess I need to go interact with some real-world people.

• summerdaze_tn
    18 years ago

bump

• Dena6355
    18 years ago

Ginamarina and Marly,
    Do you have pics of the rocks planted and growing sedums?
    Dena

• nmgirl
    18 years ago

How did the projects turn out? Any drawbacks or "I wish I'd done this instead"?

• ginamarina
    Original Author
    18 years ago

ok, I'm back :-) I can go dig my rock out of the snow :P I must say, the rock itself looked awesome once it weathered, the perlite make a debut and the rock picked up sparkle in the sun, but the plants themselves didn't fare well.

I wish I'd have made the indentations deeper, and they should have been more interconnected - I think someone mentioned using a pancake turner to make jagged spots in the rock. Where my problem lay was that the new plants would fall out in the rain... now, on my mom's, there are so many dead plants behind them all, that they just stick - but not with my new rock, and I lost all but I think 2 of my plants. The organic matter that they grow in has to be "glued" to the rock for the plants to stick. And my mom's rock, after decades of them growing in there... they just keep coming back and living off the roots and leaves of the previous years dieback I guess.

I'm thawing the snow off my rock in a dishpan right now, and I'll write later. I think I'll write my mom and sisters and see if they'll kindly pick a few plants off theirs for me, and I'll see if I can get these rooted over the winter. Otherwise I'll use this rock as a base for a new one. =)

Gina

Here is a link that might be useful: the webshots directory of this stuff...

• dognapper2
    14 years ago

If I reply to this really old message does it bump to the top? Most of the picture links are broken but half way down is the coolest thing...tufa rock for hen & chicks.

How would one make this?
    A (newbie) step-by-step blog somewhere? Wish the other pictures mentioned still worked :)

• ginamarina
    Original Author
    14 years ago

whose rock are you looking for?

I still have mine, though I forgot to bring it in for the winter and they all croaked :)

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

Great old post, glad it came up again! Ahhh, the ideas are percolating!!! I was just visiting the neighbor and noticed they have a very nice BIG rhubarb plant...and yes I am Shameless and asked for some leaves!!!! lol!

• dognapper2
    14 years ago

The "Marly Rock" that sort of looks like a pocket planter/ strawberry jar caught my eye - using a balloon??
    Yours (Gina) were the ones I was wishing still had links ;)

Dear Shameless:
    I left the hardware store with a free cutting of purple passion houseplant on Saturday - recently blogged. LOVE it when shameless works!!
    (I asked if she sold any and she offered up a rooted piece - would have totally bought a starter plant.)

• ginamarina
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I don't know why webshots kept the linked pics in there on display, and made the URLs inactive! Here's a link to the little album.

This rock dries out fast, but if you put it on a pail lid or something else to hold water, it soaks it up and keeps it wet. I just found out the hard way that I had to bring it in during the Wisconsin winters :)

Here is a link that might be useful: hypertufa hen & chicks rock pictures