Return to the Hypertufa Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
faux stone 'hypertufa' wall in BH&G magazine

Posted by lazydaisy z7 NTX (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 28, 06 at 17:29

If anyone happens to be around their local magazine stand, see if you can locate Better Home and Garden's "Garden Ideas and Outdoor Living" special edition, Spring 2006. There's an article in there about a woman who does "staging" for movies and such and she's now doing gardens in faux style with the same techniques. On page 106 she shows how she makes a faux stone wall from an existing cinder block wall. She's basically using a hypertufa mixture in the final step to create the stone look and the wall really looks nice! She shows how to prepare the existing wall and how to get the look. Worth checking out.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: faux stone 'hypertufa' wall in BH&G magazine

Well, I let this one go down. Hope someone got to look at it! :)

o

Hey Laizydaisy,
I think this magazine must come out at different times. I saw it today and would not have picked it up to flip through had it not been mentioned here. The information about the faux wall looked pretty quick and easy. I just skimmed the article so did not see how the diamond mesh was attached to the wall prior to having a scratch coat applied. Thanks for keeping your eyes open and sharing the information,
Dena

o

Hi Dena,
I'd have to look at the article again next time I'm at my local Barnes and Noble library :)

I think the diamond mesh was added to the initial surface that bonded to the cinder block and had a straight portland/sand slurry put on top of the diamond mesh that was then textured to "grip" the layer of hypertufa added on top of that (and then shaped). To reiterate: cinder block/bonding agent/diamond mesh/cement slurry layered in that order and then shaped hypertufa layer. Again, I'll take notes the next time I'm in there--too cheap to buy the book! LOL

I know people here have already done the hypertufa facade on cinder walls but I just thought her work was so well done and found it interesting she used the hypertufa mixture (even though she didn't call it that).

o

I just typed in Garden Ideas and Outdoor Living and it comes up on the Better Homes and Gardens website. You can order it through them if anyone would like. Looks like a interesting magazine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hypertufa Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here