Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doone_gw

Neat site - seen these?

doone
17 years ago

WOW....look a those leaves....neat mushroom looking thing....

http://www.littleandlewis.com

Comments (10)

• wannadanc
    17 years ago

These well known artisans have been much emulated by GW members for years now, and some of us are fortunate enough to live almost "next door".

• DebZone8
    17 years ago

Little and Lewis who? ;-)

Deb

• doone
    Original Author
    17 years ago

y'all are soooooo lucky! I showed a friend my very amateur ruhubarb leaves and she shoes me this. Yeah, right...

• Dena6355
    17 years ago

Doone,
    Your friend has a good taste. You should be pleased that she sees you as capable of doing what they have done. It is only a matter of time!!!
    Keep at it, you seemed to have jumped right in. There is SO much that can be done now that you have the know how to do leaves.......
    Happy casting, and experimenting
    Dena

• doone
    Original Author
    17 years ago

LOL! Yeah, she came down later and wanted to apologize and tell me that she didn't mean to hurt my feelings! LOL! She said she showed me this site cuz she knows that no one in our area is doing this sort of thing. She THINKS I can do this! Frankly, I'm not that talented!

But, it is really good inspiration....

yup, I've been bitten by the tufa bug...

• doone
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Funny, Deb. I just saw your posting of the L&L opening.

So, how did they do that mushroom thingylookingthing?

• dragonladytoo
    17 years ago

I love the raintree on that site and would love to have a set up like that of my own! How cool it would be to sit there in the afternoons :)

Here is a link that might be useful: raintree installation

• DebZone8
    17 years ago

Doone, sorry I missed your question. I saw a picture of the front of the chair in a book called, "Artists in their Gardens." I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they used lathe.

I took a class last summer on hollow (lathe) concrete sculpture from a local artist named Lynn DeNino (I think Dena has taken the class from her at one time, too). You basically lay patties of your cement mixture onto the lathe and let it relax into the diamond mesh so you end up with a strong armature. Then you go back over it with a thin veneer of the same stuff to fill in the gaps and make it smooth. You can make very strong thin walls this way. I'm sure L&L also use admixtures in their mixes but I haven't experimented with any of that yet. Lynn suggested something called Milestone.

Deb

• DebZone8
    17 years ago

Doone, sorry I missed your question. I saw a picture of the front of the chair in a book called, "Artists in their Gardens." I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they used lathe.

I took a class last summer on hollow (lathe) concrete sculpture from a local artist named Lynn DeNino (I think Dena has taken the class from her at one time, too). You basically lay patties of your cement mixture onto the lathe and let it relax into the diamond mesh so you end up with a strong armature. Then you go back over it with a thin veneer of the same stuff to fill in the gaps and make it smooth. You can make very strong thin walls this way. I'm sure L&L also use admixtures in their mixes but I haven't experimented with any of that yet. Lynn suggested something called Milestone.

Deb

• DebZone8
    17 years ago

Sorry, something's going on with the internet tonight ;)

Deb

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH