Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blooming_stone

Raising the Prices

Blooming_Stone
18 years ago

I've been mulling over this all week since my first market day: My prices are too low. The graceful bowl with a pedestal, 18" diameter is $27.00. The experienced vendors told me that it should be $45.00 to $50.00.

I had priced by comparing to the commercial hypertufa at the upscale garden centre 'round here. I was disapointed with the prices, but figured I'd have to make it work.

Now. How should I get those prices up there? Go for it, or edge the prices up, say 10-20% each market day? I'm leaning towards the "creep it up" strategy.

Any experience? Any thoughts?

With humility, Blooming

Comments (7)

• leigh_wi
    18 years ago

Blooming,
    I'd go up the full amount right away. If someone comes back from the last show and mentions the price change just say it was and introductory offer last week and that you'd be happy to keep that price for them. One thing to keep in mind is that "word of mouth" is one of your best salesmen. People will have a tendancy to let it be known about the "deal" they got and let prospects know what the actual value is.
    Leigh

• puddle_of_mud
    18 years ago

If I were you, I'd just pop those prices right where they should be and keep them there. If you are uncomfortable with the price everyone says it ought to be, then just set your price a few dollars less. If someone somewhere is selling a pot for $50, you could sell it for $49.

I have always heard a good rule of thumb is to count what you have spent and triple it for your time and profit. If you spent $15 on materials to make a pot, sell it for $45. If it happens to be a difficult piece to make, add a little more to your asking price.

• puddle_of_mud
    18 years ago

O I almost forgot.
    I've been making tufa troughs and bowls for a couple years now and have already read the FAQ's. I was just interested in what YOU were using as your recipe as I like the look of it in the photos.
    I usually use 1-1-1 sand, cement, peat. Sometimes I exchange the peat with other things. Sometimes I use more of one than the other. So what is your favorite recipe?

• paws4pets
    18 years ago

Bump them up right away. You can always come down and they think they are getting a bargain. Your time is worth it.
    Paws

• Belgianpup
    18 years ago

"That was the introductory offer to see if there was any interest."

"Those were some of my practice pieces, so I let them go for special prices."

LISTEN for what the people are saying, not just to you but to each other. ("I sure wouldn't sell leaves that big for such a low price.")

Don't price handmade, one-of-a-kind, creative pieces like they were made from a mold in a third-world country. They aren't the same thing. You aren't aiming for the welfare market. If you don't value your style, creativity and labor, no one else will, either.

Sue

• buckyforce
    18 years ago

Bravo...all of the above! Sue is right on the money, so to speak! You are an artist, and as such, should command a value for your work that reflects your imagination, technique and hard work. Don't let those without appreciation for your creations beat you down, and don't devalue your creativity by their comments. I fully subscribe to the theory that an artist is their own worst critic. Things I have made that I feel don't meet my standards, are objects of amazement by everyone that looks at them. Go figure! Stick to your guns kid, and don't let anyone put your creations down. Find a different market if you have to, but keep creating!

Amanda

• rocks23
    18 years ago

I'm a lurker, non-artist, etc. The post above about time, expenses, etc. times 3 is the standard. However, I wouldn't say anything about practise pieces. Agree with above post - Would up the prices and if mentioned, say last week's prices were the introductory prices. jmho

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!