Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvmymoss

Is there still an interest much in hypertufa?

I first learned about hypertufa from this forum and a magazine article. I have continued to be interested, but it seems not in "fashion" anymore. I still do it, and have many troughs and bowls etc.
I like the rustic textured type either for sun or shade. I have made small ones in yogurt cups and large ones as big as 4 ft long (my latest still curing). Have many succulents, sedums, and starting to get some alpines to plant them up.
Just lurking around to find new info and inspiration. Thx.

Comments (8)

• poaky1
    9 years ago

I am interested in it but have no talent. I have made some really ugly things, which I would'nt show anyone. I keep thinking of making something, but can't decide what. My uglies are on display in my garden though.. One is a cats head, the other was supposed to be a gargoyle type creature. Maybe I'll post pics anyway. They are my first 2 attempts, so have mercy.

• Mike Larkin
    9 years ago

I teach hypertufa and cement leaf classes at a local garden center and there is still people that sign up. I started several years ago and the classes typically have 5-6 people. It seems that gardeners like to make things, instead of buy.

Mike

• poaky1
    9 years ago

You are in Harrisburg, which is several hours from me. I am near Uniontown. Do you have a youtube video or something like that?

• Kim The Hypertufa Gardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So glad there is some interest still. I know I have seen your name plantman56 quite a bit. Are you the one with that gorgeous website with some of the most beautiful photos ever?
    I have it bookmarked somewhere. You usually give a link? I also have a website but I don't sell at all. Too much hassle. I like to stretch the envelope and do different things. And poaky1, go ahead a show yours. I'll bet they are nice. And you must be good to even try cats or gargoyles. I am just trying a head vase and I may be out of my comfort zone.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Hypertufa Gardener

Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, plantman56. It is you with that gorgeous website. Love all your creations. I will Follow you on Pinterest. Love to be inspired.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Hypertufa Gardener

• Mike Larkin
    9 years ago

No video yet.
    I enjoy teaching the classes and with the video I would not get the chance to talk to the viewer or participant. Plus I get to see their expression when they finally understand how it should be done.
    A person came up to me after the class and said she had taken two other classes on hypertufa and never learned what I had just showed her. You dont get that from the video. My suggestion is to practice. I have learned much from this site (THANKS so much to Billie Ann) and from making lots and lots of mistakes.
    Thanks for the comments of my blog. I dont get to post as much as I like. My favorite photo is the one on the right side - Hypertufa Conifer Container . I made it and broke the side when putting back into the mold to carry it home after a class. I have learned to never throw out broken pots - they can still make great containers -
    Also we dont talk here much on what to grow in all those pots that we make. Someone should start a post .

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: My Blog

• club53
    9 years ago

There is still a big interest in hypertufa in New England. I teach lots of workshops to the garden clubs, as well as sell at the horticulture societies' annual meetings. Hypertufa seems to appeal to a targeted audience: people who are true gardeners and know what they want. People that want that instantly old, natural look in their gardens love them. I tell my students if you break one never throw it out; just use it broken -- the plants tumble out like from an old ruin. The nicest planter I have was run over by a truck and split in half while it was set out waiting to go to a show; I just pushed the halves together and sedum cascades down the seam and onto the ground.

As for planting, use the troughs just like any other flower pot; annuals, perennials, dwarf conifers, sedums -- whatever floats your boat. In the NE, daffodil bulbs, etc. would most likely not survive in them being too cold above ground. Hostas love them and mini hosta comes up year after year. I have lots of them planted with annuals so that there is always color when the perennial bed is in a period of not flowering. The troughs are super for use in deck and patio plantings where they get scaling sun as the troughs keep the plants' roots from frying the way they can in plastic.

Use 'em and enjoy 'em!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, can I hear an Amen! That is the love of hypertufa. I love that old look. It appeals to my deepest soul. And your advice to not throw a broke one out! Never. They are even more "old ruins" when they are put together and the moss grows over them. I don't sell, except for a few in my local gift shop and at fundraisers. I will just keep making them until I fill up our acre, then I will just have to buy more land!

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County