Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mabeldingeldine_gw

tufaenough's turntable

mabeldingeldine_gw
18 years ago

Tufaenough,

I'd love to hear more about your turntable, and a picture or six if you have the capability....

I would love to make a turntable to be able to turn pots...

Mabel

Comments (5)

• paws4pets
    18 years ago

I use a Lazy Susan for my small to medium pots. Works pretty good if I don't get them too heavy.
    Paws

• tufaenough
    18 years ago

My camera is in Cuba for another week.
    I tried several ideas for a turntable, even lazy susan bearings but it didn't have the stability.
    That is when I figured if you could mount a car tire sideways it would make a cool heavy duty turntable.
    Well a car tire was a little too heavy so I settled on the spindle you can buy cheap to build a utility trailer.
    I mounted (actually just dropped it in the pipe)this in a piece of vertical pipe that is in a heavy wood frame under my bench top. Very easy to do.

Instead of a wheel and tire I made a 2 foot across 4 inch thick plywood disk that is bolted to the spindle in the place of the rim and tire.
    This gives me a very heavy duty turntable just above my bench that turns with great ease. It allows you to get a very smooth and even round pot by using a trowel while turning. You can even grind soft tufa with a rub brick while turning the table.
    I have drawn rings on the table so it's easy to center the work.
    I still need to fine tune this setup but it is working well.

You could easily mount this spindle in a heavy chunk of fresh poured concrete as well for use outside.
    It would require no skill except to make sure the spindle stayed level as the concrete cured.
    Even the turntable could be concrete if you poured it on top of the spindle with a disk of something to support it..

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:68121}}

• Dena6355
    18 years ago

I use the caster that is sold at home Depot or Lowes, for lazy susans. I use the largest one and have a piece of 1/2" wood on top that is NOT attached. this allows for me to clean the caster better than if it were attached. It provides a great work space that turns, and since the board is not attached I can carefully remove the piece and set it elsewhere while I work on the next thing.
    Dena

• Dena6355
    18 years ago

afer reading what I wrote I need to clarify a little. If needed I can take a pic of what I use.

I have one piece of 1/2" plywood, mine happens to be a circle ~15", this rests on the table, then the caster is set on top (not attached) then another circle 15" of plywood, over the unattached caster. On top of this is the piece I am working on. I usually cover the top circle with a piece of plastic just for clean up.
    When I am done working I can remove the top board with the tufa/concrete piece on top; the wooden circle provides a stable supoort, similar to the bat that is used on a potters wheel.
    To clean the caster I use a clean cheap paintbrush and a nail to spin the particles out of the housing.
    Sorry if I confused anyone. I can also use mine outside or take it with me on vacation :)
    Dena

• rozaholik
    18 years ago

I'd sure love to see pics of these...anybody?

Li
    (changed my name from gomanngo after reaching the 200 number of roses)

Sponsored