Return to the Hypertufa Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need to get organized...

Posted by susanan z5 CT (My Page) on
Sat, May 20, 06 at 17:59

How do you set up a work station for casting leaves? Last year I set up a 4X4 foot plywood table outside on saw horses, dumped 400 lbs of sand on top and and worked off that. REALLY did not like looking at that table all summer, plus I had to get rid of all that sand in the fall. This spring I thought I'd be smarter and cast my leaves on our beach by the pond, but it takes so long to lug all the materials to the pond,then lug it all back to the garage when I was done. Thought of setting up a permanent work station in one of the unused boxstalls in the barn. Someone out there must have a better way of organizing a work area. I'm open to suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need to get organized...

• Posted by ltd123 6A southern Ind (My Page) on
    Sat, May 20, 06 at 23:07

Build a fence to hide behind. That is what has worked best for me. I have a carport that is really a storage area next to the garage. I started my mess (leaf casting) in there but things spread out in a hurry and took over other areas. I built a solid wood fence about 30 feet long that goes nowhere but it hides an ugly view. That area is perfect for my concrete projects; it has water, some shade, room for unsightly things. I can splatter paint, shake off extra concrete, drip polyurethane, etc and never care.

good luck with this problem
Laura

o

How big are the leaves that you're working on? I use trays, some are discarded half sheet cake pans or reinforced heavy duty cardboard boxes. I cut the boxes to about 2 or 3 inches tall, wrap with duct tape, line with plastic and fill with as much sand as I'll need. I line the sheet cake pans with plastic and then fill with sand. I use wet and dry sand for casting. You probably know this, watch what you use for wet sand due to the weight. I have shelving in my studio/greenhouse that I can slid the trays onto for curing. The trays are ridgid enough that I can stack them on top of each other too. If you use shelving to store/cure make sure that either the shelves are smooth so you can slide the trays or the shelf opening is wide enough to get into up to your shoulder. When I work on projects in the house I work on trays too, on the kitchen table. I have a closet with shelves that the trays can be stored in if I'm not finished with the project or it's an ongoing project. Hope this helps. Billie

o

I have tables in my garage - since I can't get my big truck in there anyways....

Two tables, sand, plastic, cement, mixing tub, watering can, gloves...

I like the idea of boxes or cookie sheets...I'll have to try that out so that I can do more than just four leaves at onces...

Thanks!

o
Need to get organized...

I don't know that you ever get organized, when it comes to tufa :-) I just put an old door on saw horses, out behind the greenhouse and started making a mess! Every once in awhile I try to clean up a bit.
bonnie

Here is a link that might be useful: pic

o

Check with IKEA.They have shelving systems that are strong and reasonably cheap,both in pine and metal(more expensive).The basic system in wood(the name escapes me)is expandable and easy to set up.I think(?)it'll take some serious weight.I use one for curing(IKEA sells a plastic,zip-up cover)and others for storage.I've used them for several years,no problems.
However...
I'm finding that I'm running out of room.So much concrete,so little space seems to happen to us all.Good luck with your solutions.
Cheers from here

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hypertufa Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here