Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sereneseen

My first leave

sereneseen
17 years ago

I finished making my first leave this past weekend. I cast a rhubarb leave last fall, made a silicone mold, and then filled the mold with quickwall and fortifier. Yep, it sat all winter bare & naked. I finally got around to painting it. I was intimidated by the painting part. It's my first attempt at painting anything so you can see why it sat unpainted for six months.

{{gwi:68431}}

SereneSeen

Comments (11)

• ltd123
    17 years ago

well, aren't you thrilled that you finally painted it!! It turned out great. You must be a "natural" at this.
    Congratulations,
    Laura

• myback_garden
    17 years ago

Sereneseen: Your leaf looks great...looks like a real leaf..Good Job.I'd say your a natural at it as well..:)

• tulipfarmer
    17 years ago

Your leaf turned out BEAUTIFUL!!!
    Beware - it's addicting!
    Laurel

• daybees
    17 years ago

Sereneseen
    You leaf looks lovely!!!
    Debbie

• sereneseen
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for all the wonderful comments. Laurel, I think you're right that it's addicting. I'm on the hunt for other leaves. I sent this same picture to my sister and she wants me to show her how to make one when I visit her this summer. Finding interesting leaves in this area will be a difficult task since nothing exotic can grow in my zone, darn.

Again, thanks for the comments. It's back to tufa'ing for now.

SereneSeen

• doone
    17 years ago

Very nice!

• puddle_of_mud
    17 years ago

Beautiful! Care to share your painting techniques? I usually leave mine unpainted because I just can't get that beautiful "real" look that you certainly have captured!

• bluejean
    17 years ago

now come on! ... that isn't a casting.. that's a real leaf! We aren't that naive here. Stop pulling our legs!

*smile* just teasing...

but it truly does look like it is the real thing. very beautiful! kudos on a wonderful piece of art!
    *cheers and round of applause*

bluejean in ohio

• sereneseen
    Original Author
    17 years ago

You are all too kind with all the compliments!

I went out to my garden this evening to check on plant progress when this medium cupped shaped rhubarb leave called to me from my neighbors garden. It whispered desired to become something greater and not settling on just being thrown in the trash while it's lower half would move on to become a wonderful part of a strawberry-rhubarb pie. It broke my heart to hear of it's desire and with one swift snip, it said it's good bye's to his leafy companions. Beautiful cupped rhubarb leave departed with me on a wonderful new adventure to become part of something bigger....a cascading leaf fountain.

Puddle of Mud, I used Kilz ultra premium green spray paint for the base (indoor/outdoor). I thought it would be easier to spray paint the deep vein part and it did work wonderfully. The dry brushed on the lighter green, yellow, and red acrylic paint with a short & fat bristled brush. I squirted the three acrylic colours on to a paper plate and mixed them a little then dabbed some of the colors off on a the size of the paper plate before dabbing the leaf (saw that technique on TV). Hope that helps.

SereneSeen

• doone
    17 years ago

Well, I painted mine last night. Didn't turn out nothing like yours! Darn.... Once again, very nice job!!!

Spray paint, hun....?

• puddle_of_mud
    17 years ago

It's very beautiful! You almost make be believe I could do it. I just may have to give it another try! Thanks for sharing!