Return to the Hypertufa Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My first leave

Posted by sereneseen z4 IA (My Page) on
Wed, May 24, 06 at 18:48

I finished making my first leave this past weekend. I cast a rhubarb leave last fall, made a silicone mold, and then filled the mold with quickwall and fortifier. Yep, it sat all winter bare & naked. I finally got around to painting it. I was intimidated by the painting part. It's my first attempt at painting anything so you can see why it sat unpainted for six months.

SereneSeen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My first leave

• Posted by ltd123 6A southern Ind (My Page) on
    Wed, May 24, 06 at 19:36

well, aren't you thrilled that you finally painted it!! It turned out great. You must be a "natural" at this.
Congratulations,
Laura

o

Sereneseen: Your leaf looks great...looks like a real leaf..Good Job.I'd say your a natural at it as well..:)

o

Your leaf turned out BEAUTIFUL!!!
Beware - it's addicting!
Laurel

o

Sereneseen
You leaf looks lovely!!!
Debbie

o

Thanks for all the wonderful comments. Laurel, I think you're right that it's addicting. I'm on the hunt for other leaves. I sent this same picture to my sister and she wants me to show her how to make one when I visit her this summer. Finding interesting leaves in this area will be a difficult task since nothing exotic can grow in my zone, darn.

Again, thanks for the comments. It's back to tufa'ing for now.

SereneSeen

o

Very nice!

o

Beautiful! Care to share your painting techniques? I usually leave mine unpainted because I just can't get that beautiful "real" look that you certainly have captured!

o

now come on! ... that isn't a casting.. that's a real leaf! We aren't that naive here. Stop pulling our legs!

*smile* just teasing...

but it truly does look like it is the real thing. very beautiful! kudos on a wonderful piece of art!
*cheers and round of applause*

bluejean in ohio

o

You are all too kind with all the compliments!

I went out to my garden this evening to check on plant progress when this medium cupped shaped rhubarb leave called to me from my neighbors garden. It whispered desired to become something greater and not settling on just being thrown in the trash while it's lower half would move on to become a wonderful part of a strawberry-rhubarb pie. It broke my heart to hear of it's desire and with one swift snip, it said it's good bye's to his leafy companions. Beautiful cupped rhubarb leave departed with me on a wonderful new adventure to become part of something bigger....a cascading leaf fountain.

Puddle of Mud, I used Kilz ultra premium green spray paint for the base (indoor/outdoor). I thought it would be easier to spray paint the deep vein part and it did work wonderfully. The dry brushed on the lighter green, yellow, and red acrylic paint with a short & fat bristled brush. I squirted the three acrylic colours on to a paper plate and mixed them a little then dabbed some of the colors off on a the size of the paper plate before dabbing the leaf (saw that technique on TV). Hope that helps.

SereneSeen

o

Well, I painted mine last night. Didn't turn out nothing like yours! Darn.... Once again, very nice job!!!

Spray paint, hun....?

o

It's very beautiful! You almost make be believe I could do it. I just may have to give it another try! Thanks for sharing!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hypertufa Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here