Houzz Logo Print
rustinj

Concrete Handbook for Artists?

rustinj
18 years ago

Concrete Handbook for Artists

Technical Notes for Small-scale Objects

by Andrew Goss

Anyone have this and care to comment on whether or not it's a good buy? Also, there's some interesting info on the author's site.

Justin

Here is a link that might be useful: book page

Comments (10)

• MuddyMesaWoman
    18 years ago

Very interesting. I'd never thought of using concrete or cement for jewelry....hmmmm.

Can't say whether or not it would be a good investment, sight unseen, but it would be really interesting to pickup at the library first, if you could find it there.

Thanks rustinj!

• tufaenough
    18 years ago

This was one of the first websites I found when researching tufa/concrete and I learned a lot from it.
    The book sounds cool but too pricy for my blood.
    His recipes for jewelery can be applied to many things because they are extremely strong recipes.

I'f you want to make mosaic in tufa using small bits of collored concrete as your medium tweaking his recipes gives a great result.

• rustinj
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yeah, concrete jewelry to go with the cement shoes. That sounds like a lot of exercise for a little fashion :) Unless I hear someone recommending it I'll have to stick to looking in the library. Thanks!

• billie_ann
    18 years ago

I bought it. I'm taking silversmithing at college. See if your library has it. I feel the same way about the Sherry Hunter books. Billie

• beckybabe
    18 years ago

Billie ann,

So how is the book? Have you just recently ordered it or do you have it already? Let us know.

Becky

• redhead70
    18 years ago

I have the book, and it is an enormous amount of info for the artist working in concrete. I use it at least twice a week. The resources section is worth it alone. And, by the way, he is an awesome artist.
    He is always willing to answer questions, and I just think that taking the time to do that is just plain cool. Support the guy, buy his book.

• rustinj
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Great! Thanks for letting me know. Personally, I was a little disapointed with Sherry Hunter's Concrete Garden Art book...just seemed like an introduction to the different techniques without any depth.

• Belgianpup
    18 years ago

It seems to me that when I ran across Andrew Gross's site, he also had a discussion board.

What really p'd me off about Sherry Hunter's books was that they reissued the first book under a different name. Anyone buying it sight-unseen because they liked the first one got a real surprise.

Sue

• gottatufa
    18 years ago

You Never heard of using concrete for jewelry? Where have you been?! I made this item just for the fun of it to see if it would fly. It flew alright. I think this would be a good project for the tufa addicted with a bad back. It was done as a "finger" sandcasting, tufa and a fossil, strung with torquoise. What a waste of good torquoise! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: tufa jewelry

• rustinj
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hahaha! Sorry, concrete jewelry must have escaped my attention. Now, concrete swimwear...that has potential :) Good job!

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville