Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetiela

newbie question

sweetiela
18 years ago

I have asked this waaaayyyyy down on some other post. But could someone please tell me the steps to molding. Such as do you spray pam and then cover with saran wrap and then fill with concrete etc. Or do you spray with pam, pour in concrete and then cover the whole project with saran...

I know this is probably a stupid question...but have trying searching with mixed results.....I have concrete and I am biting at the bit to get started....Thanks in advance Tammy

Comments (7)

• sweetiela
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh....me again....forgot to say would like to start with leaves and work my way up to a mask....and then.....dare I say a trough or planter.....yikes...well now it is out there...lol....Tammy

• Jilly_W
    18 years ago

Tammy,

I have been concentrating more on leaves recently, and I used the instructions in the FAQ at the Garden Accoutrements forum to start, which worked really well and my leaves turned out o.k. Instead of making up my own recipe I have been using a quikrete sand mix quite successfully, it is not quite so fine, but turns out well.

Jilly

• sweetiela
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I started on a litre bottle thingie...I am using quikrete...but seems to have alot of gravel.....could you please share your mixture....since I was a little to excited and bought 5 80 pound bags...thanks Tammy

• ChristineW
    18 years ago

I had tried one bag of quikrete to and found for leaves it had way too much gravel. So I have been using 1-part Portland, 3 parts sand. I have been using rhubarb leaves and wild rhubarb leaves, they have been turning out great. Just hard to be patient waiting to turn them over. I usually rub back of leaf with vaseline or spray with PAM. Seems that either way I have to spend time trying to pick out the heavier veins and then use the hose to really clean them up. Its fun to do, everyone is a little different.

• tufaenough
    18 years ago

LOL Christine.
    I just wrote about Quikrete in another thread.
    Quikrete is a whole line of redimix products.
    You must ask for a sand only redimix or 9 times out of ten they will automatically sell you concrete readimix with gravel in it.
    Quikrete has several sand only redimixes suitable for leaves.

• Jilly_W
    18 years ago

If you read my post again, you will see that I had used a SAND MIX Quikrete, as tufaenough pointed out in the other thread - Quikrete is a brand name and not a type of mix. You have to make sure you specifically ask for the sand mix. Tammy, with so many bags of, I would think cement mix, that you bought, it should be just great for stepping stones. Last year I was up near Ottawa in a farmers' market, and two ladies had a bunch of stepping stones using just a regular concrete mix with rhubarb leaves, they looked good and they were selling really well.

Jilly

• sweetiela
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Okay...have unmolded my molds tried both the spray and the saran way....I like the way saran is smooth but the saran gives a nice wrinkle effect on my mushrooms. I also casted some molds to use when I make my planter....I did use the regular concrete. Will have to make another trip to get the other stuff......thank you all for your help....nice people here.....Tammy

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz