Return to the Hypertufa Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
POP mess!

Posted by Mabeldingeldine z5 ME mid-coast (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 27, 05 at 10:27

Tried this morning to make a POP ball to use as a tufa mold. What a mess!!! What did I do wrong? The gauze strips & pop just won't stick to the ball, but fall off and make big clumps. Suggestions anyone?

I posted a pic of the disaster in the gallery.

Mabel

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: POP mess!

Mabel how big is the ball?
Were you planning to cut it in half later?
Is there any reason why you want to use POP?
Is this like the method doctors use for casts?
I have my own methods of making ball molds so I'm not up to speed on how others do it here.

o
RE: POP mess!

In the thread about sphere making a week or so ago, I mentioned making a mold with guaze and water putty and said that I would try it. I went round to Wallyworld to get a large ball and found one that only measured 8 inches or so BUT I did find one of those blow-up type beach balls that the label said is 24" in diameter. It was on sale for $3 and came complete with a fabric slip cover that is supposed to make it look like a baseball. Well, when I inflated the thing and realized how huge it is, I went back out to the nearby dollar store and got a smaller blow-up that is maybe 13" or so in diameter and set out to cover it with fabric strips and water putty. I just laid the strips of torn fabric over the ball and brushed on the putty. It took forever to dry and I have now taken it off the ball. The blow-up feature made it easy enough to remove the ball. When I cut around the "equator" I found that the water putty crumbles and the cut edge was not nearly as tidy as I would have liked. I suspect you will find something very similar with the POP. I am going to try sealing the edges with either latex or silicone caulk and will let you know how that went.
One suggestion on separating the two halves--be sure to make a jog of some sort so that the halves are easy to match back together later. It would be virtually impossible to make a perfect sphere with these methods so you really need to be able to put it back together the same way that it came apart.

Good luck....I'll be back
spiderwoman

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hypertufa Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here