Return to the Hypertufa Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how dry is too dry?

Posted by straw_dog (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 3, 06 at 16:45

Hello,

another broad, sweeping question ;-)

How dry is too dry? Here's some context; looking to avoid slump by staying as dry as possible. Using a mix that breaks down as cement:perlite:sand 1.7:4:1. Is there a rule of thumb for minimum water added in this or any cement mix? The piece will be kept nice and humid while curing.

cheers,

Sean

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how dry is too dry?

I use just enough water to be able to squeeze into a ball with no drips and then toss from hand to hand without the ball breaking or cracking.

o

jusme,

I'll try that, and see where it takes me. The last thing that I tried (hypertufa inside a plastic planter item) was dry enough to avoid slumping, but sure wound up with a lot of little voids.

I'll need to keep on fiddling around,

cheers,

Sean

o

Try tamping the stuff after you get it inside the mold and that should get rid of the voids for a smoother finish.I just put all my tufa in then using my hands to push it so it gets rid of any pockets of air.Hope I explained good enough but maybe someone else will add more or a better explanation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hypertufa Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here