Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
syordano

Dripping moss water feature inspired by Little and Lewis

syordano
9 years ago

Hi everyone! I am considering making a dripping water feature inspired by the mossy fountains of Little and Lewis for my shade garden. The feature most likely will be a mossy bowl where water will slowly trickle over the edge into a catch basin underground, while saturating and sustaining the moss. I was planning on lining the inside of my mold with sheets of live moss, and then sculpting the tufa on the inside, so that when I unmold the moss will be stuck to the tufa and lining the entire exterior of the fountain bowl. Has anyone attempted sticking moss to fresh tufa and how has it held up over time? I'm pretty skeptical that this will work since the moss needs an acidic environment, and fresh tufa is highly alkaline... I have attempted to grow moss on the exterior of tufa via the old moss and buttermilk smoothy recipe, but it has taken nearly 3 years to see some results... The tufa had to age a long time and become more porous as the peat moss decayed.. Does anyone have a clue how Little and Lewis might be getting their drip fountains to be overtaken by moss?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting