Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ldp777

hypertufa coating

ldp777
18 years ago

Hi - I have an old plastic horse from a childs spring horse. Would it be possible to coat it with a thin layer of hypertufa, or would the coating just crack and fall off? Thanks - Linda

Comments (11)

• Dena6355
    18 years ago

Linda,
    Yes, and maybe..................
    You could first coat the horse with bonding agent and let it dry, then apply another coat of concrete bonding agent (looks like elmers glue) then paint on a thin slurry of cement and sand mix. You may actually have to do this part more than once. Each application is going to slightly distort your original horse. If you are in a very cold area it is very likely it will crack and fall off. But heck if you weren't going to do anything with the horse, and you are able to get even one season of a concrete horse or what your idea was, then I say it was worth it!
    Dena

• ldp777
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank-you , I will try this method, And if it falls off over winter, hopefully I can touch it up with just the cement mixture , and only have to use the bonding agent the first time. This sounds better than a thick layer , I was thinking people might mistake it for a baby hippo by the time I was done ;) Linda

• tango88
    18 years ago

Plaster wrap, the same stuff used for medical casts, makes an excellent base for building up any cement product. Easy to work with and can be shaped around just about anything. A lot of hobby stores sell it these days.

• Dena6355
    18 years ago

Tango EXCELLENT information!
    + Once the plaster bandage is on it should be treated with bonding agent after the plaster is dry; acts as a sealer and a surface treatment for the next layer.
    And LDP777 a little hippo would that be so bad? Unique! :)
    Dena

• Belgianpup
    18 years ago

Tip on plaster bandage material.

The cheapest I can usually find it is $6 per roll. So I went to my veterinarian and asked if they could order a box for me, and they did. It was about 2/3 the cost.

You might also try a medical supply business in your town. They tend to be near a hospital sometimes.

And WHY do you need a whole box, you ask?

BECAUSE ONCE YOU USE IT, YOU FIND ALL KINDS OF THINGS YOU CAN DO WITH IT!

Sue

• redhead70
    18 years ago

If you have sand, you could "cast" the horse in sand in two parts and put it back together. Then you still have the original horse, and a great duplicate!

• sweetiela
    18 years ago

I am going to have to try and find more info on the sand casting......I think that would be neat to try....Tammy

• ldp777
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi - Thankyou for all the ideas. I do not think sand casting would work very well as the legs are very slim. I think it would break . I am going to try a weld-bond cement mixture, which should also seal it.Allthough I would love to have three and make a roman horse fountain! Linda

• Sarahsaid
    18 years ago

Have you thought about cutting him in half and using him for a mold? Then you could attach the 2 halves together. You could make a whole herd of horses for your fountain.

• tufaenough
    18 years ago

I have a 3 foot santa and a couple reindeer that could be cut in half and used as molds.
    Hummm, a fat three foot solid concrete Santa.
    It would be hilarious to see the vandals try to steal that!
    In the summer I could paint him green and call him a large gnome.:)

• ldp777
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sarahsaid - I have cut off the legs and used paper mache to change length and position for an earlier project, made horse more natural looking, but less sturdy. So I cant use him as a mould. Wish I could , though. - Linda

Sponsored