Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvmymoss

Large and Thick Hypertufa

I have made a very large (for me) hypertufa trough. It is about 2 ft wide 4ft long and almost 10 inches high on its outer dimensions. I have the sides about 3 inches thick.

It seems to be taking forever to dry? I had it wrapped in plastic and it was surrounded by wood forms. I kept it inside for 3 days and then put it outside for about 2 more weeks. Then unmolded it. I don't usually leave mine in a mold that long, but it seemed "wet" when I scraped it with a fingernail.

After that period of time, I figured now or never and I have taken it out of its mold, but left it wrapped in plastic for another few days. Then just left it outside.

It seems OK as it is drying now in its place in the garden. Wow is it heavy!

But anyway, my questions: Do you think this is a typical dry time for a piece that large? will I need to worry about structural integrity? ( It is reinforced inside the 3inch walls and bottom with hardware cloth.)

Comments (17)

• iunknown
    9 years ago

3" seems pretty thick, but I've seen recommendations for min. of 2.5". I'm doing the same size, but was going to try 2", with some nylon fiber for support.

• billie_ann
    9 years ago

No one can answer your question without seeing the piece in person. It shouldn't take longer than a poured basement and it did. FYI, the hypertufa is curing not drying. Sounds like you are having fun!!!

• Kim The Hypertufa Gardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I am having fun. Thanks. Basically just seeking opinions since no way are you gonna see this in person. Sorry for the misuse of drying and not curing. I will be careful in a future post.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Hypertufa Gardener

• billie_ann
    9 years ago

Why do you keep putting a link to Mike's web site in your posts?

Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't have a link to Mike's website in my post?

I have a link to mine, though. But if you visited and thought it was his, I am profoundly flattered.

• billie_ann
    9 years ago

Ahhh, thought it was Mike's. So why do you keep putting a link to your web site on all your new posts?

Original Author
    9 years ago

Why do you object? I am asked for that info, as an option, and I provided it.

I don't see a further need to discuss.

• billie_ann
    9 years ago

It's not asking for a link to your personal web site. It's a place to post a link to something that's relevant in your post like a product or tool or picture or an article.

• Mike Larkin
    9 years ago

But anyway, my questions: Do you think this is a typical dry time for a piece that large? will I need to worry about structural integrity? (It is reinforced inside the 3inch walls and bottom with hardware cloth.)
    The longer you allow cement to cure , the stronger it gets. Using the word dry will only confuse people who are just learning the process.
    I think it is not unusual to have a long dry time on a piece that large. It may also depend on how wet the hypertufa was when you put in the mold.

• themes
    9 years ago

looks lovely with the different textured alpines growing in it

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, and all of those were the tiny 3" pots this spring. Look how nicely they've grown! I will be making more of these large troughs because they really behave well for the plants. I have this wrapped in bird netting over the winter because the squirrels like to dig in it. >sigh More pictures of this big trough at my site.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Hypertufa Gardener

• Charles Miller
    8 years ago

I often made troughs with 3" sides and bottoms, and they seemed to cure just as well as others, maybe better. It actually helps them to cure if you wet them thoroughly maybe every day while they are curing. Concrete cures better when kept damp.

• Barbara C
    7 years ago

I love your trough! What did you use as a form when you were making it?

Original Author
    7 years ago

We just built a box with screwed-in sides and bottom so it could be taken apart. Then we balanced it on large boards to carry it. Super heavy. I have some explanation on the blog. Lots of photos.

• Adriana Gutierrez
    7 years ago

Im curious how much that triugh weighed when it dried?

Original Author
    7 years ago

I am not sure how much it weighed. Had to be moved by my son and son-in-law who struggled. Possibly over 100lbs. Now that it is full of soil and plants, I can't even consider moving it. But I LOVE it. I made a quickie film for a video into on YouTube.

Sponsored
Third-Generation Family-Owned Masonry Supplier in Virginia