Return to the Hypertufa Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie - What am I doing wrong?

Posted by catalinagrey MN 3/4 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 26, 09 at 22:55

I just made my first rhubarb leaf stepping stones.
What am I doing wrong?

The first one I made is the white one in the upper right corner. The big one on the left is the last one I made. I'm using quikrete 5000.

P6250001

The first and last one were very wet and pourable when I mixed them up. The middle two were more like thick cookie batter.
But they all seem to be crumbly?

P6250002

P6250003

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie - What am I doing wrong?

Did you use the 5000 with water and nothing else? Why 5000? Did you work in too cold of an area, like outside or an unheated building?
Too wet of a mix can give you crumbly and lots of air bubbles. Weather too cold? I know that 5000 is for working in cold temps but if a frost or freeze get this before it cures it can crumble.
It's hard to tell from the pictures but these look a little thin to be stepping stones. You have to watch out when using rhubarb leaves or any thick leaf. The veins can be very large and lead to cracking of your stepping stone if the stones aren't thick enough. Billie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hypertufa Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here