Return to the Hypertufa Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How's everyone's markets?

Posted by daybees B.C. canada (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 4, 06 at 23:50

How is everyone doing at the markets?
I've just started at the James Bay market I would love any suggestions from you seasoned marketers

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

P.S.

This is my latest project. He's not hypertufa but I love him anyway.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Debbie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How's everyone's markets?

Debbie,

I've never sold anything at market before but I've been working towards that goal this summer. Most things I make, I want to keep myself for my garden or my family wants an exact duplicate for their garden taht I never get around to making some to sell. This summer I'm determined to make some planters to sell. I bought a 7' canopy cover at a garage sale this weekend so I could set up a place at the local market. I'm clueless at this point about what to charge.

Did you recently get married? Congrats!

SereneSeen

o

Debbie,

I like your set-up...very colorful and eye catching.

That's a pretty cute non-'tufa grot you've got there, too! Best wishes and warm blessings! You're a lovely bride.

Deb

o

Um...does he really know about your addiction?REALLY know?Does he know that he becomes "DH"in your posts,as in"DH moved all those heavy bags of cement,then he helped mix them up"?He does?Then,and always,congrats!!
Anyhow,I've been in your position before-what price to charge,layout,etc.Price is what a willing buyer will pay from a willing vendor(with apologies to realtors who use this every day).My DW(she really knows about this stuff now!!)and I just plain guessed at a pricepoint and got lucky.In the absence of any other vendors selling the same pieces,or similar,the public won't,for the most part,balk at paying what you want for your work.Be proud and loud about your concrete pieces.
We're getting a 10 by 10 canopy(check Costco,237 bucks,CDN)for our shows.Space is usually allocated that size or slightly larger.Be prepared to sit.....and wait.Enter your Zen state,write a novel,but don't look hangdog,smile at the public,be happy.Even on cold,wet days,smile,kibitz with the other vendors.We found that people are attracted to you if you're cheerful and informative.And,that attraction can lead to sales,trust me.They won't buy it on their first pass,but,they'll come back on their way out of the sale area.Because we aren't selling lightweight stuff,like jewellery or doilies,people want to get it last.
good luck in your concrete career and good luck in your life together!!
Cheers from here

o

This is one of those "auuuuh" moments! How lovely you both are! If he's not hypertufa, what's the secret ingredient he's made of--I want to make of those too! :)

I emailed you a few days ago--hope you got it. I meant to send it right before the wedding but missed and figured you were busy with better things than check email after that. :)

So, was your Easter Island man an usher?

Congrats!!!

o

Thanks sereneseen. (Canopy) Good garage sale find!!!Good luck at your markets.

Thanks Deb. Hows the landscaping project?

Thanks Rick.I'll have to do more talking next market. My first market I was a big chicken and didn't talk to much. This Saturday I'll take yout advice and just have fun, the other venders are lots of fun.

Thanks daisy. We left the big EI head at home.

Debbie

o

Hi there Daybees;

I've been at the Wolfville, NS farm market for a year now. year round. On good days I make as much as I'd really like to make every day for the whole week, not just on Saturday morning. I look upon it as an incubator setting for my venture. Today Wolfville, tomorrow...well tomorrow the wholesale world.
I had a great great day last Saturday. I was one of the vendors at the NS Association of Garden Clubs. What a wonderful bunch. ...and so willing to put their money where their mouth is. I got a large order from a art-garden shop, and an offer to lead a seminar at a national woodworking/garden tools outfit. (No, they won't be flying me to head office - I'll be at the city close to me).

I priced my first planters by visiting a garden and gift centre. It's called "industrial espionage"! I wrote down descriptions, sizes and prices. Then I had my first day at the market. Pretty good sales! At the end of the day a vendor at the market, a seasoned vendor I might add, told me that I should raise my prices. I had compared my "distinctive, hand-crafted concrete" to off-shore mass produced stuff. I know everyone says never to raise your prices, but I did - doubled them - and never looked back.

My DH is a salesman and technician. I watched him at a show I had in April. He approaches people who are hanging around the booth by saying "Are you the gardener in the family?" or " How's your garden doing" or "What's blooming in your garden this week?". Wow. People love to talk - those open-ended questions - and quickly they were talking about which of my planters they liked best.

Have fun with this. I am!

Mercedes

o

I do a couple of markets but they are only for July and Aug.
I sell mostly soap but did sell some leaf stepping stones last year. I love you sun and moons are they made in molds, I am interested in where you bought them.
thanks Lynn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hypertufa Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here