Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tango88_gw

A couple of Faux Bois project pix...

tango88
17 years ago

Hello Group --- Well I just completed the last of the scratch coat details and will start applying the finish coat next week. Here are a couple of pix that show the "undercutting" that is necessary to create deeply incised details in the final layer. I will be putting together a tutorial based on this bench for any who are interested that will be on the new website. Looks like it should be up and running between Wednesday and Friday of next week. Finally! It has been a long and tiring row to hoe, but I hope you all find something you can use there. It already has a great deal of permanent information on cement, concrete & hypertufa... and, metal arts, woodworking and ceramics & mosaics are being built. The site is called thegardenartforum.com. It's strictly a craft site. No other topics. Check it out & let me know what you think.

Here's a wide view of the 8 foot bench in it's final scratch coat...

{{gwi:70365}}

...and a detail shot showing how deep the undercutting is...

{{gwi:70367}}

Will be starting on the finish layer next week.

All my best --- Tango

Comments (19)

• ltd123
    17 years ago

Magnificent!
    Laura

• carol_showme
    17 years ago

Tango,
    Beautifully amazing work. So much detail.
    Great Job!
    Carol

• klinger
    17 years ago

I love the look of your bench. I took a look at your site, looks like you have been very hard at work. Lots of good info there, looked at lots of links and enjoyed the books you had listed,
    Cindy

• Dena6355
    17 years ago

Tango,
    Very very nice work. I especially like the side view that shows the thinness of the back board.
    I will be eager to look through and learn learn learn.
    Thank you so much for your willingness to share information.
    dena

• ltd123
    17 years ago

All I can find is a sign saying "under construction" for the site. What am I doing wrong?
    Laura

• dian2
    17 years ago

Truly amazing, You are an inspiration and so very, very kind to share all this info. I can just imangine all the hours you have put into it.Greatly appreciated.

Do not know if I can graduate to something bigger;) after those shrooms but am willing to give it a shot down the line somewhere.

thanks so much for your time and efforts

• linnea2
    17 years ago

Tango, you're big league among cement nuts!

I've been following the story on D.G. Your thoroughness and professional passion
    (I saw the bloody hands) are mind boggling. So is your chosen field, to me.
    "Faux bois", what a thoroughly odd idea to begin with, then, like anything
    else carried beyond the obvious levels and way beyond, it becomes sublime.
    Your bench is a piece of poetry, I hope your client appreciates it.
    (Have they seen it?)

I don't expect anything I make in concrete to survive me (the backhoes will have
    a bit of a struggle, but they'll do it in the end)
    but your work should still be around in a century, whether we are or not.

It pains me to think of the "rust bust". What is the life expectancy
    on that rebar sealer you use? Or is it too early to tell? What about the mesh?
    Does the cement adhere to it like it does to raw rebar/mesh?
    If you've already covered that, I apologize.
    Where do you sign it Tango?

Haven't been to your site yet, is it up and running now?

• tango88
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hello Everyone & thank you for the kind words. The site should be open between Wed. & Fri. of this week. It's just about ready to fly and I hope you all find something of value there.

Linnea --- The client has not seen it yet. Probably won't until it's done & ready for delivery. As for the rusty rebar situation, normal processes are good for maybe 50 years. The new chemical treatments should (in theory, at least) completely eliminate the spalling & fracturing for good. If so, then the work could last for as long as the concrete...somewhere around 10,000 years is what the best brains calculate. As for the galvanized lath (mesh), it oxidizes almost as soon as the concrete hits it, but the chemistry is such that the oxides formed then protect it. Go figure. At any rate, there's not enough mass to do any real harm to any but the thinnest work. And the bond between the treated metal & the concrete is excellent. Maybe even better than untreated, but I have no data on it, just impressions after working with it.

Will include this bench in another soon to come tutorial as it involves some very different techniques (the seat is hollow, for example).

'Til then...All My Best --- Tango

• Snomam
    17 years ago

I'm in awe! What a work of art!!

• Dena6355
    17 years ago

Tango,
    Your bench looks weathered already, like cedar left to the elements. It really is magnificent.
    I have e-maile you and hope when your tutorials are up and running that you will include me in the list.
    Thank you and the seat being less then solid is certainly a good thought. Is the bench seating even or is it a two person side and a one person seat, I can not tell with the angle of the picture. Again thank you for sharing details along the way.

Linnea, what is D.G?
    Dena

• rustinj
    17 years ago

Wow, I didn't think you could out do yourself, but you just did! I know it's all probably one giant piece, but my eyes tell me that the bench seat is just sitting in the frame and the rest was tacked on around it. I can't wait for the tutorial. I'm really looking forward to the tutorial!!!

• daybees
    17 years ago

Thanks for the pics Tango I'm really glad you share them with us.
    Debbie

• tango88
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Once again, thank you all.

Dena --- Sorry to take so long but the new website launch has had me running in circles. As for the bench, it is designed to accomodate four adults...two on each side of the center armrest. It's a little over nine feet long & should be quite comfy. Even for "big folks".

Tango

• linnea2
    17 years ago

Tango, saw your site, still reeling! My butt's sore from browsing it
    and the links for hours, barely scratched around even so!

Beautiful job! Nice font (what is it?) easy to get around,
    everything
    as one might have wished. Is this really the only one!?
    It fills a huge hole, for sure! THANX!!

• tango88
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Linnea --- Sorry 'bout the butt thing (lol)! Yeah, there's quite a bit there, and a whole lot more on the way.

I'm sticking with three simple, easy to read fonts...Times, Arial & Verdana. I'm a reformed, old school graphic artist from the pre-dawn days of metal and even wood type, so things like readability are close to my heart. Glad you noticed. Thank you.

Oh, and..."the only one" what?

Tango

• linnea2
    17 years ago

The only site focusing on cement arts and crafts and related subjects.
    And with a forum. Many searches have yielded Bo Atkinson and many of your links,
    but nothing like this! It's a dream! Don't forget a link to the Tarot Garden,
    lots of people don't know about her.

Putting together my web site ate over a year of my life (being completely illiterate)
    it was ghastly.
    I hope it doesn't become a full-time job (and sitting is really bad for your back!)

I hate almost all fonts. I had just got comfortable with off-set printing
    when that was over. The optimized stuff is pretty hard on high-res. junkies like myself.

• tango88
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The Tarot Garden is one of my favorites too. The link is already there under her name...Niki deSaint Phalle. What a wonderment!

And you are right about the back. Spending the day toting bags of cement in 100 degree heat...then coming straight in and sitting at the computer in air conditioning 'til two am has taken its toll. Maybe my next website should be about massage therapy, yoga & Rolfing.

Tango

• MuddyMesaWoman
    17 years ago

Tango,

You are a true artist. Your bench is spectacular. You have a real feel for creating realistic faux bois. I can't wait to see the finished product.

I have enjoyed visiting your site as well, but I'm sure I have only scratched the surface so far. Thanks for putting in the effort to make it a great place for tufa addicts to enjoy.

Jo

• linnea2
    17 years ago

Oops, missed that link, sorry! Just goes to show what you can't cover
    in two hours.
    This will be a good winter..now there's just too much screaming to be done
    (take that either way, hehe)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor