Return to the Hypertufa Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quicky birdbaths?

Posted by nancyjane_gardener USDA 8ish No CA (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 1:27

Here in No CA we are in a really bad drought! I would like to put out birdbaths so the birds will have enough to drink and won't go after my veges for moisture!
I have been meaning to delve into hypertufa since I retired last year, but haven't had the time to get around to it!
I have a couple of questions before I make the first plunge!
Does the concrete leach anything that would harm the birds? If so, can I fix that?
What would be the quickest way to make some birdbaths and have them cured and in service?
FWIW, I might just go to the thrift store for some shallow bowls and think about tufa bowls newt fall! Nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quicky birdbaths?

Hypertufa, like concrete needs to cure for 1-2 weeks. It should be kept damp or moist to become strong. Otherwise it may crack - if it drys too fast.

I have ocassionally placed the entire project in a water bath ( to cure) after I taken it out of the mold. If you do that you will get a milky residue in the water from the cement. Washing with water will remove much of the cement residue.
I would not rush the project. Make one now and allow it to properly cure. Allow it to remain outside and ocassioanly hose it down to get rid of any residue from the cement. That and Mother Nature will help get it ready for the birds. There are hundreds of birdbaths made from cement and for sale at any garden center. I am not aware of anything special that is done to them.

Some may suggest to seal - I am not sure of the harm that the sealer may have. I have done both - sealed and unsealed. Mike

o
RE: Quicky birdbaths?

Hi
I disposed of my stone BB because they get so dirty so quickly and the only way I've found to clean them is daily brushing along with occasional bleach Have replaced with
plastic drip trays Very light easy to wash can even take them in the house to clean. only problem is they look like plastic drip trays l Working on that!! lol gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hypertufa Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here