Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barttwin

Gunnera waterfall

barttwin
18 years ago

Well my leaf water feature is finally in place. I had plans to have it finished this spring, but...

The leaves were cast last fall and left to cure over the winter. They are painted with acrylic paints and sealed with cement driveway sealer. I used a layer of hardware cloth to add strength to the leaf. The basin is actually a large laundry tub bought for about $8.00 I have to get a pump yet. Because I have a 3 year old I have decided to take a large black potting pot (like you get at the nursery when you buy a tree/shrub) and put it in the basin up side down. I drilled a bunch of holes in it and plan to put my pump under it. This will leave only about 3 inches of surface depth of water and prevent my toddler from going head first into the basin. (she fell head first into the hole as I was digging it!) I am going to silicone the back of the leaves to prevent backwash of the water and water loss. I found it difficult to position the leaves to get the water flow I desired. It took many adjustments which is a drag when each leaf weighs about 100lbs! I also had to break (gasp!...yes purposely break!) some of the back of the leaves off in order to get them to sit properly on top of each other. If I was to do this again I would only cast about 2/3 of the leaf for the bottom leaves. (the most top leaf needs to be complete) I would also try to cast them a bit flatter. Anyways I hope to get more plants around it and a pump in it before the end of summer. I need an extra 12 hours in each day!

Here is a link that might be useful: leaves

Comments (10)

Sponsored