Return to the Hypertufa Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
harden in the bag cement

Posted by waterlily_girl 4 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 6, 08 at 19:55

I have about 25# of cement left in a bag I have been using for leaves and other garden stuff. Large solid lumps have formed throughout the powdered cement.

Has anyone dealt with this issue? I have tried putting what I need through a mesh kitchen sieve but it is an arduous task! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: harden in the bag cement

waterlily, If the lumps smooth out by hand easily, you can use the cement. If the lumps are rocklike discard the bag. Cement does have a shelf life, even without the hard lumps.

How are you storing your cement? The lumps are caused by moisture in the air. Moisture will even migrate through a concrete floor to the bottom of your bag of cement. Billie

o

I am storing the cement in its own bag in a large plastic garbage can with a tight fitting lid. I think I may try to find smaller amounts of cement at a local cement factory. Not sure if they sell it - but it has to better than disposing of the harden lumps!

o

Garbage cans don't have tight-fitting lids. They may have lids that are tough to open, but they don't fit tightly. Fill it up with water and tip it... if water runs out, moist air can flow in. (Guess how I know....)

I buy a 94# bag of cement and divide it between three 5-gallon buckets with tight lids. I had to buy one of those lid openers to get them open without breaking my nails.

The link below shows what the bucket openers look like, but you can find them in hardware stores and Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Bucket opener photo

o

I need to get a bucket opener.

I've kept my cement in my periodically very wet basement (salamanders, weird fungi) in a Rubbermaid trashcan in a contractors' grade plastic bag for years now & it hasn't lumped up.

Steerite brand containers don't hold up at all - don't bother to buy those.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hypertufa Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here