Return to the Hypertufa Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Decomposed Granite

Posted by sonofkirk Sonoma CA (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 19, 05 at 20:43

Hi, I've been lurking for awhile and really enjoy reading all the great information you guys provide.

My question is: I have used decomposed granite as a substitute for sand in some of my troughs and planters. I love the color with white cement. I am concerned though about how "sharp" DG is. Is it considered a sharp sand? Does that mean my troughs and planters might be weak and crack? Do others use DG? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Decomposed Granite

I would think that it would add strength if it is larger than sand no?
Is the DG like a small gravel in size or is it even smaller? I would love to find some fine DG as small as sand.
Where are you buying yours?
GB

o

Have never tried decomposed granite (though it sounds interesting) but I can tell you that "sharp" sand makes for a considerably stronger concrete mix. In fact, masons try and avoid sand that is too smooth or rounded because they know it acts like ball bearings under stress and fails earlier.

o

The DG I use is called Gold Fines and is very much like sand. I actually sifted it before and only got a few very small pepples. So the texture is like sand, but frankly I can't tell the difference between play sand and fine sand. The landscape material retailers sell kiln-dried sand of various grades. They tell me that is sharp sand - but it is more expensive.

The color of the DG I use is a lovely adobe color, maybe a little more golden than adobe. When used with white cement it looks like the hills of Northern California in the summer or the native stone around here. Which is the effect I am going for with my troughs. I just want to make sure they are strong enough.

o

We just bought a house in West Sacramento, CA and the back yard is covered with a fine gray decomposed granite.I am wondering if I can plant shrubs etc in this or do I have to amend it beforehand?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hypertufa Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here