Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mae060669

Classes?

MAE060669
18 years ago

I was wondering if anyone ever thought of doing a weekend crash course for a small group on an intermediate or advance project? The slideshow instructions are good but I'd love to see someone in action. Maybe set up 1-2 pieces that can be worked on by the students while the teacher works on one.

I would love to visit someone else's worksite and soak in the good vibes and brainstorm with others like myself.

-Allison

Comments (3)

• EasterIslandGiant
    18 years ago

I do tests to learn. I believe its the right way to do things. no one have same projects and the strenght of the mix used makes a difference.

I think the experience come when we have worked with the product and tested.

I would like to share information i have about tufa

Hypertufa mixes:
    A) Granite Look-I
    1 part perl/verm
    1 part cement
    2 parts peat

B) Porous Tufa-Like
    1 part sand
    1 part cement
    2 parts peat

C) Limestone Look
    1 part sand
    1 part cement
    1 part peat

D) Granite Look-II
    3 parts perl/verm
    3 parts peat
    2 parts cement

E) Sandstone Look
    1 half parts sand
    1 part cement
    1 half parts peat

Approximate quantity for size #1:10 quarts per part
    All parts measured by volume

TREATMENT OF TROUGH
    Brush with stiff wire brush to remove sharp edges & smooth look of poured concrete.
    Score sides with chisel or knife

Allow to dry slowly in a shaded spot 3-4 weeks or in big plastic bag with humidity under sun.

Expose to several rainfalls or treat with a strong solution of water and permanganate of potash (1/2 oz. of crystals to 3 gal. of water) fill with solution and let stand 24 hrs.

• cool_kat
    18 years ago

I teach classes on a regular basis. I have up to 10 students and they all learn the same beginner item. a container formed around a large bowl. Then I do some advanced classes. I am doing one this week with about 20 people in it. They can choose from 5 different things to make, container, mushroom, birdbath, trough, or statue (shaped like a wizard) This will be the largest class I have ever taught but most of class have done this before. I do not make I go from person to person watching, instructing, offering advice and moistening as needed. I am good with spray bottle and words of encouragement that it will hold together and turn out.

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    18 years ago

Allison,

I have also taught hypertufa classes through various venues. Often see classes advertised through garden centers and garden clubs, so if you want to try a class, check with your local garden club or center and see if they have ever offered one.

I personally think a class is a good idea, especially as then you don't end up with a 70lb bag of Portland cement you may never use again.

If your local club needs a teacher they can fly me down ;-)

Mabel in Maine

Sponsored