Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gansn

How to for concrete mushroom

gansn
15 years ago

I was looking at google images tonight and found this site. I like the way the 'shroom looks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mushroom how to

Comments (18)

• valolson1
    15 years ago

I like to make small and medium mushrooms with my leftover hypertufa mud. I use small round plastic cereal molds for the mushroom cap, and then a small plastic cup or planter pot for the stem. I cover my molds with plastic bags for an easy release. They're easy and a good way to use up excess mud. Take a look...

{{gwi:71638}}

• Belgianpup
    15 years ago

Woks and wok lids also make excellent mushroom tops. Check the thrift shops.

Sue

• flora2b
    15 years ago

Here is a pic of my leftover cement!!

{{gwi:71639}}

• otnorot
    15 years ago

Thank you!thank you!Thank you!I have been wanting to make toad stools for a couple of years and could not figure out how to do it.
    Bill

• sherida_2009
    15 years ago

What do you use for the base mold ? I would love to make one of these. Thanks

• marcia7439
    15 years ago

I Like to use upside down Super large soft drink cups, like from taco bell...
    Also when doing them, don't forget a spike or super long nail to 'stab into the ground.helps hold them upright
    Marcia

• billie_ann
    15 years ago

Sherida, You can also use a tapered plastic vase or small plastic trash can from the dollor store. I LOVE the dollar store. Billie
    p.s. I like that toadstool with the succulents, I'm not a cutsey person but that is too cute.

• tobyandbarb
    14 years ago

I just joined this list and was thrilled to find information about cement mushrooms. I just built a house and have several bags of cement left over from the deck posts. I would appreciate any information about how to decorate the tops of the mushrooms with stain glass or stones etc. Any suggestions and/or advice would be most appreciated. Thank you.

• gansn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have used small molds and just laid some random pieces of glass in as I add the concrete. You could also do a thin layer of mastic like you would use for laying tile and then place your mosaic pieces. You would have to grout afterwards. I'm sure that there is a ton of information on the forums if you search for mosaics.
    Good luck!
    Glenda

• Betsy Rheaume
    14 years ago

What perfect timing for me! I just bought this mushroom and was wondering if I could find instructions on how to make some more. Just need to figure out how to get that glaze on top. Thanks for posting this!
    {{gwi:71640}}From Garden Poem

• bonecarver
    14 years ago

The best thing I can tell you about the approximate way that piece is finished is to paint it either black or dark brown first then use Pearl Ex metallic powdered pigments in the colors you want make it. You can find them online or from places like MichaelâÂÂs or A.C. Moore Craft Store.
    Use a soft cloth to rub in the pigment, while they may seem a little pricey,,,, you'll find a little will go a long way.
    These metal pigments will rub off so you need to seal them with an outdoor sealer. But I think they would give you the effect you are looking for.

• tamelask
    14 years ago

It almost looks like it's some sort of spray paint. See the drips and the overspray on the bottom portion? Question is, what kind of spray paint will adhere to concrete and be that glossy? It does look really cool!

• billie_ann
    14 years ago

tamelask, I'm pretty sure that the mushroom that passionknit posted is pottery or ceramic so that's probably a glaze that's fired on. But you could get that same drippy look with a thick coating of sealer.
    bonecarver, Couldn't any craft store metallic paint be used then sealed with an outdoor sealer like....agghhhh can't think of his/her name think heshe lives in Arizona...Internet name begins with a V..Sorry. Billie

• Betsy Rheaume
    14 years ago

The mushroom I posted earlier is a concrete-type mushroom, but I would agree that the glaze is fired-on.

Here's the mushroom I just made using that purchased one as my mold.
    {{gwi:71641}}From mushroom

This is made from quikrete. I think I have enough left to make one more. I love it. The one thing I would like to change is the stem needs some shaping--it's too straight.

• tamelask
    14 years ago

wonder if it's like and enamel type powder that then is heated with a torch or something? Never heard of a glaze being applied to concrete, but i guess it would work. Would a spray paint adhere to concrete for long, out of curiousity? This has my juices flowing... there are some neat spray paints available now if it would stick.

passion, your shroom looks great! I agree and think your base should be more organic to go with the top.

• jpsonmor_prtel_com
    12 years ago

I make them out of qiuckcrete and paint them with acrylic paints decorate them and spray them with a waterptroof sealer they are very pretty. I use spikes and tar paper to make the stem and after there set for twelve hour I carve them for detail and cure them in water for seven days. But I have run out of ideas for molds , I sandcast mine.

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

Judy, I wish you'd post a pic, I'd love to see.
    Kathy

• ladycraft
    12 years ago

Hi Kathy, Mushrooms are so easy and you can use anything. I have a flower pot I use but you can use any type of bowls etc. I usually make the center kind on concave and use some type of cup to sit in there and fill it with whatever I'm using. And I like to remember to put a spike of something in there like Judy suggested. Then the mushroom doesn't fall over. I have lined the flower pot and just put what I have in it then the next time wet it down and pour the next leftover in it. That is how I got the different shades of gray. The last one I made I lined a bowl with bubble wrap and it made an interesting pattern. I have a pic of a couple of them in photobucket. I haven't been on here enough lately to remember how to link and can't find a pic so go to photobucket and search hyperturfa and you should be able to find it. They are on pg. 2. Have fun in the mud! Kathy

Sponsored