Return to the Hypertufa Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Final Sculpting Mix Going On...

Posted by tango88 z8TX (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 13, 06 at 0:09

Howdy Group --- Here are a few pix of the bench I'm working on that were taken today. I am applying the final layer which is a modified neat cement paste. No aggregate or sand. It is mixed very dry ( about 17% water to cement by weight) and sculpts detail almost as well as modeling clay. Very tricky to work as it changes "phases" differently than concrete or mortar and absolutely must not be allowed to dehydrate as you sculpt it.

Anyway, here is view of the front edge of one of the three armrests. Will have to flip it over to do the "top"...

..and here is one of the "mortised" joints where the back appears to fit through the leg/back support...

...and, finally, the other joint on the same end of the bench.

Still a lot of work to do but I will try to keep posting as I go. The full group of images will be on thegardenartforum.com as part of an upcoming tutorial on designing & fabricating larger pieces like this.

Time for bed. Gotta' get up early before it hits 98 again. All My Best --- Tango

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Final Sculpting Mix Going On...

Tango Amazing detail.... Great Job!!!
Carol

o

Brava Tango!!

I am enjoying the progress you are making - thank you for sharing the pictures and information.

I am interested in the "modified neat cement paste" you mention. Just portland and water? Or did you add bonding agent? Thanks!

Amanda

o

Thanks Guys --- Did the other end today but no time to load any pix yet.

Amanda --- the basic neat cement paste formula is on my website under the "Mix Menu". It is a little tricky to mix and very demanding to cure but worth the effort. I'm putting together a full tutorial just on working with this mixture as it requires a very different approach to pull off successfully. Take a look. All My Best --- Tango

o

• Posted by dian2 z6 pgh pa (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 13, 06 at 19:24

amazing. Absolutely amazing

o

Great work Tango, can I have your web page address??

o

Awesome job. I really like how this coat is going on.I am also intrigued by the mix, will have to play with it some time.I always enjoy seeing your work.
Cindy

o

I'm new here so someone please tell me...that's not really concrete is it? I make all kinds of stuff out of crete and if you havn't figured out by my name I love the stufff...but what I see in the pics is like totally different from any concrete i have ever seen, let alone worked with. And I have always been told that neat cement will fall apart, but it looks like this guy knows what hes talking about. Any comments?
Thanx TKOC

o

• Posted by ltd123 6A southern Ind (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 15, 06 at 21:48

TKOC - this guy (Tango) more than knows what he is talking about! His work is terrific. Go check out http://thegardenartforum.com/sb/index.php to learn more about faux bois.
Laura

o

Hey Laura, thanx a bunch. I got to find out more about this and will take a look.
TKOC

o

Hey Laura. Thanx again. That site is prety awsome. My head hurts from trying to take it all in! I've never seen so much about concrete and cement in my life. I just might have to change my name after looking that over, but can't wait to try some of the mixtures he has on there. TKOC

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hypertufa Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here