Return to the Hypertufa Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My fist hypertuffa attempts

Posted by Foxglove44 z 4aMN (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 25, 05 at 10:54

I finally did it. Boy it's fun playing in the "mud"! LOL

I wanted to do a sphere, but I decided to start out w/ molds. I am making a fish border for my Northwoods Garden (we used to live in Seattle and want to recreate some of that feel). I found the molds at GW. One of the tails broke off, but other then that all went well.
I went on to make a leaf casting. I still have to smooth off the edges. I used an elephant ear leaf. I like how it turned out!
And then I made a trough and planter... however.. I forgot to put in drainage holes! SHOOT!
Betsy

Here is a link that might be useful: My first hypertuffa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My fist hypertuffa attempts

Looks great! Now why didn't I think of using jello molds?! I'll be looking at yard sales for them. Here's my second attempt (the first one crumbled, old cement and lack of patience LOL). It's not dry yet. Betsy, what mixture are you using? I like the texture! Mine is one part cement, 1-1/2 parts each peat and vermiculite.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

o

I use a 1/2 inch spade bit to drill the holes in my pots. It's a wood bit, but has lasted quite a while (unlike my cheap little saw. The points are all gone.)
Mercedes

o

For the molds and the leaf casting I used 1-1 ration of portland, sand, vermiculite and water.
For the trough and planter I used. 1-1 ration of portland, sand,perolite and peat.
I'm not sure if the trough is going to hold up. It seems awfully crumbly
Betsy

o

Mercedes, how long after your pots were finished did you drill the holes?

o

I drilled the holes to day. It worked perfectly! Thank you so much. Kim... I started the project on Monday.
Betsy

o

Betsy, Love your pics. You sure look like a very happy tufaneer .

Good Job !

Shirley (((*-*)))

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hypertufa Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here