Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rickharmer

Where to find Silica sands(very fine!!)

rickharmer
18 years ago

I don't know if this will help you find the very fine silicas,but try US Silica(google it);they also show that they have the metakaolins as well.I think you'll have to contact your regional rep(they're listed)or if you're lucky and live in the SE of the US,or Texas,you could probably go to the plants where this product is produced.

Here in Canada,Sil-Co-Sil is the product I get from the Mad Potter in Richmond,BC.Prices will vary from area to area.My bags are from US Silica ;some places may repackage.Some pottery stores(one in Langley,BC comes to mind)does that and puts it into smaller batches.

If you use it,BE CAREFUL.This stuff is bad news for your lungs.I declare here that those who use this and no respirators are nuts!And that language is toned down so as to not offend.Don't play with it unless you're properly prepared.I'll now yield the soapbox to someone else who wants to say that they don't use protection.BTW,this stuff stays in the air for a bit even after CAREFUL handling.

Cheers from here

Comments (12)

• daisy_ny6
    18 years ago

Thanks Rick.

Any of you all thinking about not using a respirator, read the health risks associated with this stuff.

Here is a link that might be useful: Material Safety Data Sheet - Health Risks for Silica products

• Ratherbgardening
    18 years ago

Some pool stores stock it for sand filters.

• gottatufa
    18 years ago

OH! It's that diosomething clay! I was thinking it would be really nice for a fine detail tufa item. My friend in ohio has a pool and she was putting it in, and I was thinking, " hmm... what a waste, but what the heck, I am going swimming."
    Jo

• rockhewer
    18 years ago

Jo, do you mean DE, Diatomaceous Earth? It is used for pool filters but there are several types available. The pool stuff may have chemicals added and make it unsuitable for our uses.This page has a good description of it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Diatomaceous Earth

• gottatufa
    18 years ago

Yes, that's it! Thanks for the link. I had a feeling it was diatoms. Isn't it weird that there were so many on the earth at one time that we can mine them? If it kills insects, we could be onto something using it in planters! Will they have it on sale at the pool places this time of year? I hope so. My friend puts this stuff in her koi pond filter and her fish are very happy. I don't think it's toxic. It contains crystalline silica just like portland. Someone with a pool needs to experiment.

Jo

• Mike Larkin
    18 years ago

What about using Gypsum? I do not know the differences but Gypsum is very fine and easy to find

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

No, gypsum is no good as an aggregate. Aggregates must be hard, non-soluble, and non-reactive. Gypsum is soft, soluble, and reactive. You can actually replace the cement with gypsum although you have to use the right gypsum and very careful technique to get a strong result.

• tango88
    18 years ago

There are different types of pool filter materials. DE is basically the skeletal remains of ancient Diatoms but there are also some very fine silicas that are used in different water purification systems that make an excellent super-fine aggregate. Most new pools have gone to the DE, but a few supply houses still carry the sand as well. You can also check with local water treatment system suppliers for the sand.

• nmgirl
    18 years ago

Our local DIY big box carries silica sand in the plaster/drywall section. If you live in an area where plaster is still used in home building/decorating you might find it there. I was walking down the aisle heading to the cement/concrete area and noticed the "silica sand" sign (try saying that three times fast, silica sand sign, silica sand sign ,silica sand sign..it's even fun to type!)
    and remembered reading the posting here on GardenWeb Forums!

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

Is the "very fine!!" silica sand you are talking about actually "silica flour"? Silica sand is just a very pure inert sand, it can be anything from very fine to very coarse. The finest grades tend to be manufactured by crushing coarser grades. Crushing a particular form of non-crystalline silica gives an extremely fine soft (meaning smooth) powder called silica flour. You can also get (much cheaper) silica dust which is extremely fine crystalline silica which isn't as soft.

• rickharmer
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I get my silica sand from a pottery store.It,as stated,is from US Silica.It's,I believe,180 mesh size.It's every bit as fine as cement or silica fume.And,so far,it's working for me!
    Is that too many "it's"?
    Chewers from here

• sleeplessinftwayne
    18 years ago

Silica sand is used for sandblasting. I have used it to dry flowers but it is a bit too dusty for good results. You should be able to get it at any good lumber yard or building supply store. Sandy

Sponsored
Native Plant Scapes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Your Friendly Native Plant Landscape Designers in Loudoun County