Return to the Hypertufa Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wood ash

Posted by rickharmer z4British Colum (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 30, 05 at 19:14

Haven't Googled,don't know if its used,but...
My wife and I heat with wood,going thru a few cords a year.Even with this highly efficient stove,we still get ash.Last year,it went into the garden.But,I was wondering,could it be used in concrete mixes,like silica fume?
Just wondering....
Cheers from here

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wood ash

Oh, I just loved using wood ash. It really made a nice color tufa, but it is so ssd to know it will all decay out someday. Here is a piece i made with the charcoal from our campfire last year. The ash is really good. It's nice and smooth and seems to be the perfect exotic ingredient. Didn't slow the cure, but back up on the peat.

Jo

Here is a link that might be useful: wood ash and charcoal

o
RE: Wood ash

Hi Rick
I'm not sure you can get the ash clean enough.
The carbon will probably cause more problems than the ash will solve.
I don't even know how you can get the stuff under control.:)
Fly ash is hilarious to work with. I get more of it on me than in the mix.
BTW the concensus from concrete experts in my area is that fly ash and silica fume are wasted in Tufa or light weight concrete.
They work by making concrete extremely dense. If you use perlite or peat adding silica fume or ash won't do anything at all.
I see where they are coming from but I can find nothing on the net about this.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hypertufa Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here