Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buddyfly

Hah HAH!!!! Now I don't have to wait for them leaves to grow!

Buddyfly
19 years ago

LOL... I finally got serious and made a mold of a nice big healthy rhubarb leaf... withOUT holes! It was the ONLY one without holes! SIGH!!!

I have a few ORDERS for my stones!! (Dick, the garden tours are working!!) So now I can start making them ... and I will make a second mold from the POP mold so I can make two stones every day, maybe even four if I can start one batch in the early morning.

I also want to do this with a nice big hosta leaf. Have an order for one.

NOW... can anyone give me an idea of what they would charge for a rhubarb leaf stone?? This leaf is 17" tip to tip, and 16" wide.

This is the POP mold

{{gwi:73014}}

This is the silicone made from the POP mold

{{gwi:73015}}

Marly

Comments (64)

• Buddyfly
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Glenda, I usually make my first layer more fluid than the following layers. The consistency of that first layer is like ... hmmm... like a creamy ranch dressing! lol I was going to say like a stirred sour cream but that is even a bit too thick so the salad dressing is more descriptive. I don't know about the texture of the e-leaf ... i didn't grow any this year so I can't go and check on it. It 'might' be the problem with the beading but try a thicker consistency and see what happens. When I put that first layer on, I use my fingers (wearing latex gloves of course) to smoosh it all over the surface of the leaf. If it is too thin it will just run off. On some of the ruffles at the edge of the leaf I had to do the POP in stages because it wouldn't stay on the top of the ruffle. So I just banked up as much as I could around it, let it harden and then with the second layer it had a 'foothold' to hang on to and it stayed on the top of the ruffle. Boy, some things are rather hard to explain... so much easier if you could watch me! lol Say, do you use MSN's Instant Messenger? I could do a live mini demo for you using my webcam if you like. Send me an email via this forum if you want to give that a try.

Marly

• gansn
    19 years ago

Thanks Marly,

That does make sense. I wasn't sure that the POP would hold onto the first layer but if it will then I can put some connecting stuff around and the add a second layer to fill it out. I was not sure about making the POP thicker or thinner than the "pudding" that my instructions talked about. I'll play tomorrow....after I paint the living room.

Thanks again
    Glenda

• butterflybush
    19 years ago

Buddyfly: I want to know if you ever made a concrete leaf in the silicone mold you made in this thread? How did that turn out? I am making my first silicone mold of a sycamore leaf. But I want to see your follow-up!!! Thanks! BB

• Buddyfly
    Original Author
    19 years ago

No, I still haven't done the casting from that leaf yet ... but I DID make one from another silicone leaf I had made that was smaller. It turned out just fine!! So go ahead and give it a go with yours! I wanna see it now! I've been in a 'funk' for a couple of days now and not doing ANY creating. I'm sure the urge will come back! I hope! lol

Marly

• butterflybush
    19 years ago

I have put the silicone on the sycamore leaf today. I don't know how long to wait to do the second coat of silicone? I had trouble getting the pumpkin leaf off of the plaster. I will try that with silicone if the sycamore leaf works. I also bought a tube of black Neoprene Flash cement. Thought maybe it would also work? It says Liquid Rubber. ?????? Your thoughts on this? Sorry you are in a blue funk. You may need to sit under one of those sun lights, these cloudy skys are enough to depress anyone! Wanna see my POP leaves? BB

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:73012}}

• peakpoet
    19 years ago

Marly,

I recommend doing something stupid and crazy. 'Tufa-wise, of course. Sometimes we get too caught up in all of our WIP and plans. When we get to the point we feel we "have" to do 'tufa we lose the joy of experimenting and playing in the mud hole just for the sake of getting dirty.

Hmm... hope folks don't read more into this post than I intended

peak

• Buddyfly
    Original Author
    19 years ago

BB, wonderful POP molds you have there! Can't wait to see your crete results. About the neoprene... never heard of using that for a mold but HEY... it is always worth a shot. Try it out on a scrap POP mold like a broken piece with the leaf imprint still on it ... or even make a small POP to try out the neoprene. I wouldn't want to see you ruin your gorgeous POP leaves if it DOESN'T work!

Good job!

Marly

• butterflybush
    19 years ago

On my POP leaves, I was very careful putting the POP near the edges of the leaves, and after it set, I used an exacto blade to trim the POP to the very edge of the leaf, and an emory board to smooth the edge and back side near the edge. I was hoping this would allow me to take the silicone a little around the edge, and maybe my concrete leaves would have a finished edge? My first try, so we'll see. I looked at my sycamore leaf today, and there are one or two bubbles in the silicone, I am going to try to "patch" them before I try to cast them in concrete. A lot of work, a lot of waiting!!!! We'll see soon enough! Thanks, BB

• DebZone8
    19 years ago

Marly,
    You give such good instructions--you really should write a book.

Have you ever made a silicone mold from an existing 'tufa or cement piece? Would it work? I know POP provides better detail but sometimes it's hard to reproduce a leaf arrangement that's already been cast exactly the way you want it.

Deb

• butterflybush
    19 years ago

I wouldn't recommend the Black Neoprene Flash cement. Too much like tar, not enough like rubber. Oh well, I tried. It smells horrible, too, not that silicone smells any better! Still waiting to unmask the silicone leaf. I put on 3 layers.

• Buddyfly
    Original Author
    19 years ago

BB, that is what experimenting is all about! Thanks for posting the results ... now we ALL know not to use it!

Can't wait for your unmolding of the silicone! Woo hoo!

Marly

• Gardener_boy
    19 years ago

Bump to top, that's all.

• lonowl
    19 years ago

I haven't worked with POP much yet, don't know how strong it is or how flexible/compressive the silicone is so here's my question...How do you get the silicone mold off of the POP leaf impression when you have very large, fat veins? In other words, the veins are creating undercuts where they connect with the 'flat' part of the leaf. Does the silicone pull out of these okay? How careful of breaking the POP mold do you have to be if you are wanting to re-use it? Would pulling the silicone off kind of from the side (in the direction that the veins get wider) instead of 'lifting' it off from the top work ok?

• butterflybush
    19 years ago

Silicone is flexible. It pulled out of the POP very easily. Did not even hurt the POP. I had more trouble getting the leaf off the POP, the veins stuck in there and I had to use a toothpick to work them out! The silicone came right off of the concrete without any trouble, either, as it flexes. BB

• Gardener_boy
    19 years ago

Bumping instuctions back from past to future.

• lazydaisy
    19 years ago

bump

• mzpatti
    19 years ago

Hi, I'm new to this forum and this craft. ButterflyBush your pop leaves were terrific. Not sure I understand the process completely.

Why can't you cast the cement right from the leaf?
    Could you apply the Smooth On directly to the leaf making a mold? Does the pop leaf have to cure? Is the leaf supported on sand while making the pop cast?

Is this the correct procedure?

A pop cast is made from the leaf.
    A Smooth On or silicone mold is then made from the pop casting.Is the concrete poured onto the flexible mold or is the mold pressed into the top of the concrete?

• Gardener_boy
    19 years ago

Keeping this on my to do list.

• ginamarina
    18 years ago

I was wondering a couple things like mzpatti--
    how thick is the new "silicone leaf"? Do you use it just like you would if you were casting right from the actual leaf?

I make some of mine cupped into birdbaths and some flat for stepping stones, would the silicone be that "flexible"?

Geez I wish it would warm up!!!

--Gina

• Buddyfly
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Gina, thanks for asking your questions... and also thanks for pointing out mzpatti's posting. Somehow I missed that one obviously... it was posted back in January. I think I will email mzpatti to answer their questions and apologize for the non-response! I may have assumed the questions were for ButterflyBush when they could have been addressed to me!

The silicone mold is about 1/4" or more at the thinnest point. In my pics way up above they show you how I have filled in the 'veins' and the grooves caused by the ruffles on the leaf. Those spots are thicker for sure. And YES YES YES the silicone mold is flexible so you can cup it to make a birdbath!

I had better get busy and start using that mold and make up some stepping stones. Have to stock up my inventory for a yard show/sale this spring or summer. I make most of my stuff indoors so I don't have the cold weather as an excuse. So what IS my excuse?? lol Gardening! lol

Hope that helps you!

Marly

• ginamarina
    18 years ago

Thanks Marly! I went back up and read - so, the ruffles "stay"? I've never worked with POP before (yet) :) I've done straight concrete castings, and I would 'fluff' the ruffles into the sand. Unfortunately some of them still embedded into the crete, but it wasn't too bad.

I shouldn't stay up this late, I get so excited I can't sleep!

• ChristineW
    18 years ago

What an inspiring site! I love these leaves and can't wait to try my hand at it. I have never done anything like this, garden stones with my kids is about it. This will seem like a dum question to you pros, but after making the silicone mold, does the concrete go directly on top on the silicone or is the mold pressed into the concrete? I have been reading for hours trying to absorb as much information as I possibly can. I guess I need the 101 for Dummies version. But I am willing to give it a try. The results are truly wonderful. Thanks for your help.

• Buddyfly
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Christine, there is no such thing as a dumb question in here! Yes, you put the crete on top of the silicone leaf. You 'could' put a leaf on top of poured crete but you don't get as great of an impression. If the crete is put on top of the leaf and the casting is vibrated, the more fluid parts of the mix settles to the bottom and gives you a smoother casting. At least that is how I explain it! lol

Marly

• Jilly_W
    18 years ago

Hey Marly,

Just coloured my first leaf from a silicone mold using a Rex Begonia leaf [I think] for the colours. I just love the way the mold takes the mix, and it is sooooo easy to unmold.

Jilly

{{gwi:73019}}

• Buddyfly
    Original Author
    18 years ago

JILLY!!!! That was cast from my mold??? WOW - is it EVER SMOOTH!! What mix did you use? I think your painting is just stunning! I'd be so proud of that stone if I had made it! Good for you! Love how you composed that pic with the yellow flowers draping over. Is that forsythia?

Marly

• ginamarina
    18 years ago

HOly CATS! That is Beautiful! I LOVE the colors! I had a terrible time trying to paint my leaf. Is that metallic paint?
    ~Gina

• Jilly_W
    18 years ago

Thanks for the nice comments!

Yes Marly that is from your mold. It was so easy to use. The mix was just a sand mix from HD, but once it was on the leaf I spent ages really patting it down. You were right about the forsythia.

Gina, The greeny colour was a mix of a blue and green metalic with another green, and the center colour is a mix of purple and pink and red until they looked the same as the colours of the leaf. Then it was sprayed three times with a verathane spray to seal it.

• ginamarina
    18 years ago

I love it, really do - how thick is she?
    Is it a rhubarb leaf?
    I'm so jealous!!

• Jilly_W
    18 years ago

It is a rhubarb leaf, and is about 1/2" thick.

Jilly

• ChristineW
    18 years ago

Your leaf is absolutely gorgeous!!!! I get more excited everyday & can't wait to try this. I now have another question tho? When you are using the silicone mold, do you lay it in sand or directly on the floor when pouring into it. I flow of the leave looks wonderful. Just curious on how you get such a nice shape. I haven't yet tried this and am trying to gather as much info as I can before starting. In Northern MN the leaves are JUST starting to come out, so I have a little wait yet. Thanks for the info.

• Jilly_W
    18 years ago

Hi Christine,

Thank you! For most of my leaves I place them on a mound of sand with plastic over it, and move the sand around underneath to support the "frills" along the edges. If I was going to use it as a stepping stone, then I would place it flat on the surface - my next project, I haven't made a stepping stone yet from a leaf.

Jilly

• dixiesmom
    18 years ago

OMG! I love your painted leaf! That is Gorgeous!
    I love rex begonias!

Dixiesmom

• HowieDoin
    18 years ago

Jilly, I almost missed that leaf! That's gorgeous--you matched the colors with the real leaf perfectly.

• leigh_wi
    18 years ago

Wow, I almost missed this too! The painting is very impressive! Great color combo, great job!
    Leigh

• Old_hippy
    18 years ago

Holy cow. Great mold, great explanation on how to do it, and a fantastic paint job on that finished leaf. I can see I'm going to have to try this. Onto my 'To do' list it goes. (That means I just might get to it by the end of next June - my list is funny like that. For everything that gets crossed off, two or more are added!)

• DianaT
    18 years ago

That leaf is gorgeous, I love how you have it painted. I'm going to have to try this one day too.

I wish I had planted rhubarb now :) Maybe a pumpkin leaf, they're getting pretty fair sized lately.

Diana

• danaoh
    18 years ago

What is a POP?

• rockhewer
    18 years ago

Plaster Of Paris

• MuddyMesaWoman
    18 years ago

danaoh wrote:
    What is a POP?

Plaster of Paris

• butterflybush
    18 years ago

Jilly, what a BEAUTIFUL leaf! You done us all proud!!! And I almost missed seeing this!! mzpatti, I am so sorry for not responding. I did not know a question had been posted to me!!!! Marly, thank you for responding. I wish this forum would send us an e-mail notice about postings to all the places we respond. They only send an e-mail to the ORIGINATOR of the posted message.
    :(so I missed this!! I'm gonna get my silicone molds out and start casting, I have been so busy, I haven't done any concrete work this summer at all!!!! I miss the mud!

• shirleywny5
    17 years ago

I have a broken ceramic Gnome. The face is the only part not broken. I'd like to make a mold of the face. Can I put silicone directly on the ceramic? Do I need a release? I can't use POP as there are no clear features on the back of the face.I have made many pots,leaves,grots and birdbaths but never made a mold. I'd like to incorporate the finished face into a flower pot. Hope someone can help.

• shirleywny5
    17 years ago

I have a broken ceramic Gnome. The face is the only part not broken. I'd like to make a mold of the face. Can I put silicone directly on the ceramic? It is shiny smooth. Do I need a release? I can't use POP as there are no clear features on the back of the face. I have made many pot, leaves,grots and birdbaths but never a mold. I'd like to incorporate the finished face into tufa pot. Running Dog. I mistakenly posted a message for you in the Harvest Forum. Everyone else, sorry for the repeat.

• flora2
    15 years ago

Hi
    I know this is a very old posting, but I thought I would ask a question anyway.
    To make a leaf mold, do I just need the leaf, sand and silicone (the kind for bathrooms that comes in tubes?
    After I get that mold, can I use it and reuse it to made concrete leaves? I don't mean to sound simplistic and I am aware of the difficulties (somewhat since I have not done it) but just wanted to make sure I am not missing something here--and before I start another project.
    Thanks so much in advance--you are all inspiring.

• marcia7439
    15 years ago

I really suggest you search for Nofu's mold making thread...the process is very well explained!
    You need the leaf first.
    Then you need to cast that leaf in POP
    Then use your ***100% silicone *** caulking. (Do NOT Put the silicone on the leaf!
    A mold can be use multiple times, depending on how 'rough' you are with the mold.
    Marcia

• flora2
    15 years ago

Marcia: Thanks for the note and the clarification. Now I know I need to make a mold of POP first, then make a mold of silicone of the POP mold and then pour the concrete on the silicone mold. My question is,how do I make a mold of my "real leaf" with POP, why make a mold of POP first, why not make a silicone mold from the the "actual leaf" and then support the silicone leaf with sand and pour the concrete on it?
    Do they use the POP mold as a "container" for the latter silicone mold while I pour concrete on it. I have a feeling I am missing the boat somewhere. Thanks again.

• marcia7439
    15 years ago

I'm not a pro at this, but I will try to help a bit.
    If you take a leaf and look at it, you don't (Maybe you do) but leaves are cast on the back side so that the 'veins' are 'embedded within the leaf. So you need to make a mold of the leaf, as if you were casting it the first time. I have used kids modeling clay, rolled out to about 1/4 " (small leaf) pressed the backside of a leaf into the clay, and carefully cut around the edge of the leaf. Then I carefully removed the leaf. I lightly -Very lightly sprayed the 'clay leaf' with Pam cooking spray. I then proceeded to apply my silicone in THIN layers. (You can smooth with an icecube) It tends to be slippery from the oil, but you can get it to work.
    IF the silicone sticks to the clay, it can be gotten off with a bit of dishsoap when you wash the mold when it is cured. Takes awhile for the silicone to set up, especially if it is too thick...
    OR
    If you have a leaf done, and painted, oil it up and apply the silicone. That works too.
    You really have to try and experiment.....making a POP leaf isn't the easiest thing to do......but it can be done with patience. spray your leaf with Pam then Brush on a thin layer of POP. Let it dry and keep adding layers. Removing the leaf from POP has always been my problem
    Good Luck......
    Marcia

• brendak_59
    15 years ago

Hi, New here and love all the instructions. I am going to try this asap before my leaves are gone. I have a tree in my back yard (not sure what kind) but it has huge leaves.
    I would like to know a good source of cheese cloth. Haven't seen any around here. Maybe just not looking in the right place. I'd like to try this tomorrow so please help.
    Thanks
    Brenda

• valann50
    7 years ago

Very Nice, I just made my first one this summer. Take a look at Etsy. Several for sale.

• lazy_gardens
    7 years ago

why make
    a mold of POP first, why not make a silicone mold from the the "actual
    leaf" and then support the silicone leaf with sand and pour the concrete
    on it?

The POP mold is a "negative" of the leaf shape (the veins go in instead of standing out). If you cast from it, you don't get the real leaf shape.

By making the POP and then the silicon, you get the true leaf shape in silicon, with prominent veins.

• MidgeMarly B
    5 years ago

Gosh, its been so long since I started this thread! lazy_gardens I suppose you could do the silicone mold right on a leaf. If I recall back at that time I only had the one leaf and if I had used silicone on it, I would only end up with one mold. With having a master POP mold, I can make multiple molds from it. Molds can tear and sometimes you may want to do a multiple casting so having multiple molds would be more productive. Marly/Buddyfly

Sponsored