Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rainsend

Photo instructions for gravestone I promised...

Rainsend
18 years ago

At some point I promised to include some photos of the process I used to make my grave stones but never got around to doing this. So when I did my last project I took a quick photo.

The mix is 1 cement 1 sand and 2 peat. I cut the styrofoam with a serrated knife but recently found that a jig saw works great. I did reinforce with fiberglass tape (but my recent readings here indicate that this may not be the best). I carved this one with some dental tools and used a brush to clean up. I used lettering from a craft store and waited too long to do this for this project (hot day, kids, etc). The tufa has to still be wet but firm enough so the lettering doesnt run. I removed the mold from the stone and I started carving the front after 24 hours and waited another 24 to flip and and clean up the back

{{gwi:73049}}

Comments (12)

• Dena6355
    18 years ago

Rainsend,
    You said a lot in a small posting. What does this tombstone say? And if you can get a closer up of the top of the stone I really would like to see what is there, it is making me want to reach in and pick it up.
    For the thickness that your stone shows and the length I would say that fiberglass wall tape was a good choice. If you continue to keep this dampened and in the shade for a time it will cure and be very strong. Nice work. I love seeing others accomplishmentsssss.
    Happy casting,
    Dena

• Rainsend
    Original Author
    18 years ago

This image might show it better. Its not the finished project. It might take me a few days to do that with school starting tommorrow. The text is from a garden saying that I found on one of the forums. Someone had a list of garden sayings. It says...

This kiss of the sun for pardon
    the song of the birds for mirth
    one is nearer God's heart in the garden
    than anyplace else on earth.

Heres the closer image...
    {{gwi:73050}}

Here is a link that might be useful: link to 2 other gravestones I made last year

• gottatufa
    18 years ago

Rainsend, those are absolutely gorgious! Very nice work and such detail! What will happen when the peatmoss decays? Did you use very fine peat? What are your oldest stones, and did they get all nice and mossy? NICE WORK!

Jo

• Rainsend
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I did sift the peat first. I think the first 2 I did had more sand in it. Probably 1 part cement 1.5 sand and 1.5 peat. This last has more peat. The lettering seemed more difficult but my mix was drier and I waited longer to do the lettering. The first two were out over winter and are starting some green on them.

• lazyjranch
    18 years ago

Im a newbie and have never done any hypertufa yet... still gathering info,when you said you used fiberglass tape for reinforcement did you mean around the outside of the styrofoam mold to hold it together or what??Where do you get fiberglass tape Home depot?? Sorry to ask such dumb questions but I wanted to make sure.You carved the top of the headstone in while it was still wet but firm correct?? Very Very Very Nice work.Anyone would be proud to have that in their garden.lazyj

• Rainsend
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Lazyjranch,

The fiberglass tape I use is for drywall and I get it at the hardware store or Home Depot. Our small local hardware store didnt carry it a few years ago but maybe now.

I pre-cut many 6-12in lengths of the tape. Then I put down a layer of my hypertufa/cement mixture and smooth it out evenly. Then I take my pieces of tape and lay them on the tufa so that it criss-crosses and stuff and provides strength. I dont cover the whole thing but do some vertical, some horizontal and some diagnol. Then I layer on the top layer of tufa and spread smoothly. Sounds like I making lasagna.

I pre-cut the tape because at the time I apply it my gloves are messy and dealing with the tape and scissors is not fun. I use my gloved hands to put on all the tufa/cement and for mixing as well.

Hope that helps. Thanks for the compliments.

• Rainsend
    Original Author
    18 years ago

... and

The lettering is done first while the tufa/cement is more wet. More like after and hour or 2 after pouring. But this really depends on the outside temps. You can test the first letter in a discrete place. If it doesnt hold the shape then its still too wet. Just dont let it go too long.

The top part I start carving the next day. I remove the outer form but leave the stone in place and work there for another day or so. I can usually carve for a few days. I am using a few dental tools now but have used a utility knife, some nails from the workshop, files, chisels, and exacto knife. A brush is useful to remove the debri as you carve so you can see what you are doing.

Then I carefully flip it over and rough up the back of the stone so it isnt smooth from the plastic.

Then I flip it back again. I keep it out of the sun and in plastic for a week or so.

• andrea_san_diego
    18 years ago

How thick is the styrofoam that you use?

• Rainsend
    Original Author
    18 years ago

For the gravestone I used 2in.

• smiley_face2
    18 years ago

Wow! you have a real talent there! Those are amazing and I bet you could easily sell them! I like the style of your artwork on them.

• Datdog
    18 years ago

Rainsend you really do have a great talent! I love the way they look. It's hard to tell that they are not real.

Hope you don't mind but I lightened your picture for you. It shows your amazing work much better.
    Thanks for posting and putting out there how you do it.
    {{gwi:73051}}

• Rainsend
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you for your compliments. Im only a beginner (my 3rd year playing with this) here so the forums here have been such an inspiration to me. I really appreciate the fact that the more experience folks post such vital information to inspire us all. The sharing of information is so awsome. I know that sometimes there are disagreements but where else can you get such information. I dont know anyone nearby that does this type of work and so "listening" and sometimes participating in this forum is how I get creative inspiration to try new things.

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH