Return to the Hypertufa Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cement that gone bad

Posted by EasterIslandGiant (acrobyte2@hotmail.com) on
Thu, Aug 4, 05 at 22:28

I tried to cast some brick for one of my project. I have to do over 1500 brick out of my rubber plastic mold i made.to cover a complete wall.

I never experienced portland that went bad. well this time the birck I made I was crushing them by hand and after two atempt I realize something was wrong.

well I found out that cement that is left to cold weather and not in a bag will go bad.

I though that leaving portland cement in a 5 gallons plastic bucket covered would do the job... nootttttt

doesn't like the cold air that circulate.
one more nice experience.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cement that gone bad

I store portland cement in plastic bags in sealed 5 gallon pails. Billie

o

Mine goes bad all the time...:O)

o

Temperature will not make concrete go bad. Bulk cement is stored in siolos even in the north country and it does not affect it. Moisture will! IF you live in a damp climate or do not store the cement in a cool dry place it can take on moisture. The worst thing to put cement in is a plastic keeper then put it in a garage with direct sun. If you open it a few times then close it up for a month or two, the moisture can cause the cement to set. I DO put mine in a plastic tote and it keeps for 1-2 months during the summer and over the winter. However, I fill the tote full before I store it during the winter. Also steel 5 gallon buckets with steel lids keep cement. I have some additive color I have had for over 8 years in a steel bucket that is still good. THe trick to storing cement is keeping it dry. Do not have it in direct contact with the ground or a concrete floor.
Hope this helps.
K

o

One time my cement went so bad it started mugging the neighbors.:)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hypertufa Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here