Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tango88_gw

Cement Color Guides...How to Post???

tango88
19 years ago

Hi Group...I've put together a couple of pages of MS Word doc charts describing some of the properties & characteristics of cement color products along with a list of Generic, Trade & Company names. Did them as part of a book development on Faux Bois, but thought the folks here might find them handy in the meantime(maybe the Newbies, at least). Only question is, can Word Docs be posted? Can't paste it...the text shows up without the chart & makes no sense. And I can't save it as a jpeg...so I can't put it in an album online. Any suggestions? Couldn't find anything in the FAQ's or HELP...I'd be happy to share it, I just don't know how. Thanx All

Comments (42)

• Longlocks
    19 years ago

Why can't you save it as a jpg?

Open the word document, hit your print screen button, open Paint and paste it in there. You can then edit out the stuff you don't want (like the browser header, etc.) Then save it as a .jpg and voila! you can post it either here OR in an online album.

If your chart is larger than your screen, just reopen the word doc, scroll down and do it again (as many times as you need to) saving the screen images as individual jpgs and then open paint again and paste all the images into one image and save as one big jpg.

Kathy/Longlocks

• tango88
    Original Author
    19 years ago

KL...I was hoping to be able to post it in a way that anyone here could add their own info & comments to it over time as sort of a living document that everyone might benefit from. If that can't be done, then I'll try your jpg trick. Thanks a bunch!

• lazydaisy
    19 years ago

Tango, I believe the .doc file has to exist somewhere on a server (probably other than this one). If you don't have a site you would want to connect it from, you might try Yahoo's free account. I know they have some file folder room over there but am not sure how "public" you can get it. There's also those other nauseating free sites that generate a million pop-ups when you get on them that you could probably upload it to. I'd double-check Spike's rules on links other than jpgs--don't know what the rules are on that.

To post it, if you can get the .doc file on a site, you would use html code to link it into this area. If you have an html editor of some sort, you'll be able to create that code and copy it over into this message editor box. MS Word has the capibility of saving your file at html and you could use their line of code if you can wade through all of their bloated code and decipher what you need out of it.

If you get to the point where you have the doc located on a site, let me know and I'll help you with the html code to link it if you don't know how to do that. At that point I believe the Word document retains all of the charts and graphics internally and they would download over with the file.

• lazydaisy
    19 years ago

BTW Tango, once this book is published, are we going to find a copy under each of our chairs?? Or will they be nicely wrapped in a gift box with a big red bow..???

I've been watching too much Oprah!!!!

• leigh_wi
    19 years ago

Tango,
    Hope the above made sense to you as I'd love to see this. (I'm not computer literate as they say, although my kids could probably do it!) I'm ready to start playing with some new coloring/staining techniques! Oh yeah, can I get any autographed copy?
    Leigh

• tango88
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Gee guys...I'm not sure where to go next with this. I can just barely figure out Word, let alone code stuff (Still don't know how to get pics into my posts without going through all the Yahoo Album nonsense). I am however, sending it as an attachment to DebZone 8...maybe she can figure something out. Be happy to do the same for anyone else more 'puter savvy than I. Stay tuned...and as for the "Faux Bois How to" book...it's a ways off, but you'll be the first to know.

• lazydaisy
    19 years ago

Tango, would you please send a copy of the file to me also? Thanks

• peakpoet
    19 years ago

Tango, the living document concept is a great idea but won't work on a practical basis. Trust me.

If you're serious about a book, or even just mulling it around, I'd start 'storyboarding' it with a digital camera and Word (or even Wordpad). It'll help you get your thoughts straight, organize your material, you'll be able to do ad hoc pitches, and wil serve as a sort of bookmark when you're working on a critical process. Bookmark in the sense of 'time to take a 35mm/medium-format pic.'

Hope this makes sense.

peak

• DebZone8
    19 years ago

Tango did send me a copy--it's a wonderful reference guide. I think that everybody on this forum should be able to access it. My techie daughter says that the only way to put it on this forum in a quick and easy way would be in a pretty crude form and the proper way would be to write it into html. I have some programming connections and I'll check them out (call my brother, lol) In the meantime--we don't traditionally talk about about how we make a living on this forum, but do we have any programmers among us? We need somebody to write a Word program into html.

• peakpoet
    19 years ago

I'm not a programmer but I'm fairly comfortable with HTML. I must be tired because I don't understand. What's a Word program? HTML is a programming language, Word is a program (software package) and you can create Word documents.

The newer versions of Word allow you to Save As.. HTML. As Bonnie would say, please splain. (I miss her.)

peak

• lazydaisy
    19 years ago

Here's an example of a Word document that I found on the web and I've included the link below. Your browser will probably be able to view it or you can download it by right clicking and saving it.

It just has to be referenced from a site somewhere to have a URL to submit. By some small chance it might be able to be put in the photo gallery, but I doubt it. This is what I was talking about.

Deb, if you could email me the document (I don't think Tango has seen my request yet), I'll try to find somewhere to put it...maybe. I originally asked him if he had a personal site already that it could be stationed at.

Here is a link that might be useful: experimental .doc link (Word)

• rustinj
    19 years ago

I can post it on my home page. If you send me the file and details on how to reference it, I'll post the link. The only prob is my site will only be available until I graduate (~5/05)and I won't be able to update it that often...since I'm trying to graduate. I'm happy to provide a temporary solution, unless you have a better option.

Thanks for thinking of us!

Justin

• lazydaisy
    19 years ago

I should add that a person wouldn't have to have MS Word, per se, to "view" the .doc file (browser is capable of that) and I'm pretty sure it would go into any word processing program if they wanted to edit it--but of course, MS Word is the most common, so most people have access to it. The .doc file format is pretty generic, I believe....

Yes, it could also be converted into an html format by putting into Word and saving it out as html, but you would still have to station the html pages on a site somewhere and reference the URL.

• lazydaisy
    19 years ago

Justin, once you get the document you can reference the URL in the same place and the same way (except that's it .doc instead of .jpg) that you would a .jpg file anywhere else. Move your cursor over my example link above and you'll see it's just a typical URL path.

• rustinj
    19 years ago

Hi Lazydaisy,

I think I can figure out the how part (pretty sure, at least). I just don't feel right posting someone else's how to info with out crediting it to them. I guess tango88 would suffice for us :)

• lazydaisy
    19 years ago

Justin, I thought you were asking how to reference it (URL wise in GW) once you had the file (which I know he'd have to give you). You probably already know that though--just thought I could help with that part. :)

• rustinj
    19 years ago

Thanks, Daisy!

Now, go to bed! You're stealing my night-owl status.

• lazydaisy
    19 years ago

Well, (tongue sticking out) I've got an hour on ya!! You need to get back to studying--stop hanging out on the web!

• peakpoet
    19 years ago

Tango, send your handle to Justin and he can add a © tag to the document before he posts it. Or maybe this is the time to file that D.B.A. for Tango88 Enterprises Intergallactic :-)

peak

• tango88
    Original Author
    19 years ago

EMAIL SENT TO JUSTIN.....
    Hello Justin...per PeakPoet's request, attached are the two general reference charts for cement coloing discussed on the Hypertufa Forum. Hope we can find a way to create a number of "Living Documents"...they would make terrific resource tools for all the members of the 'Tufa group. Right now, it seems the same questions get asked every coupla' days and have to be re-addressed. Maybe we could even collectively put together & maintain a special website for the group to use for such purposes. It could serve as a common link for all related 'Tufa info and even pics. A constantly updated, ongoing reference point would benefit newbies & oldies alike. I will also copy & post this note on the Forum, so everyone knows where things stand. If you do get it worked out, please credit a copyright line to my studio name...Holland & Tucker. Best of luck and thank you for your time and interest.

• butterflybush
    19 years ago

I guess I don't understand. Is it a typewritten thing or does it have images and stuff? I always type stuff I need to repeat into WORD, and then just "select all" "copy" come here to this thread, and "paste" If it is just a typed document, it will appear here. I guess I am just not understanding what is trying to be done. here is something I copy and paste all the time:
    *Ã*BUDDLEIA DAVIDII
    I have it saved in WORD, and just copy and paste here. Oh well.
    BUTTERFLY BUSH (Ϋ) (raspberry?)

• rustinj
    19 years ago

Tango,

Wow, that chart will be a huge help! I'd be happy to host anything people want to archive, as long as it fits in the space they allow for free student accounts. The only problem is that it will only be available as long as I'm a student, and I'm trying to get the heck outta here :)

Here is the web version of Tango's Cement Color Products Reference Guides A and B

The actual document can be obtained via the link posted below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Word file : Cement Color Products Reference Guides A and B

• Buddyfly
    19 years ago

WOW... that is fantastic information! Thank you a million times over Tango!!! I am printing it out as I type this. I keep a binder with all my sculpting, mold-making, casting information.

Eeeeeeks.... just ran out of ink! Gotta jet and refill!

Marly

• DebZone8
    19 years ago

Wow--you guys stay up late! Nice job getting Tango's chart posted.

Deb

• paws4pets
    19 years ago

Great stuff. Will come in very handy.
    Joel

• tango88
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hey Justin...Thanks a bunch. Hope the group finds some of the info helpful. Would still like to find a way that other members could add to it over time, but that's for another day. Will check with the "web guru" I'm having help build a website to see if there is anyway we can pull it off. Thanks again.

• peakpoet
    19 years ago

Haven't heard much feedback on this... anyways, thanks, tango88!

Still waiting for that hypertufa.org web site we can all contribute to :-)

peak

• nathanhurst
    19 years ago

Why not just put the info on Wikipedia:Hypertufa? That way someone else can look after it, and we can all contribute. I've created a basic page, but everyone can contribute!

I didn't created a page with the colour combinations, because I don't know who owns the copyright.

• Anela
    19 years ago

Fantastic info tango!! Thank you very much :O)
    Anela

• rustinj
    19 years ago

Bumped for jgillin

• garden_of_mu
    19 years ago

Wow! That is excellent and will be so useful in the coming years. Thanks so much for sharing your hard work with us.

-Mike

• tango88
    Original Author
    19 years ago

You are all quite welcome & I hope you find it useful in some way.

• lazydaisy
    19 years ago

bump

• dixiesmom
    19 years ago

I'm going to print this up so I don't lose it. Great info Tango. When youÂre rich and famous, we can all say "well, I knew him when....."

Dixiesmom

• DebZone8
    18 years ago

We really need to get the color guide into the FAQ. Who is our archiver these days? Peak!!! Where are you?

Deb

• rustinj
    18 years ago

YES! I forgot all about this...it is currently residing on my student web site, which will go down as soon as I graduate ~August.

• tufaenough
    18 years ago

The list is incomplete.
    Where's the genian violet?:)

• solstice98
    18 years ago

I'm about to take my first hypertufa class and came to this forum to gather some basic information and ideas. (I'm a regular on the Florida Forum). Thank you for the color guide! This is awesome. I also visited the Wikipedia site that one of your members set up last year.

• azbookworm
    13 years ago

BUMP....

Any updated info for Newbies??

• abendwolke
    13 years ago

yes please, anyone still have this file to post again?

• lisamay
    13 years ago

I am a hypertufa newbie and would really appreciate that list as well! Any and all help at this point!! Lisa

• illinoisdoglover
    11 years ago

Just started reading about hypertufa and cement coloring. I can not open any of these old links. If there is still someone one there, could you direct a newbie to the page to download with all the inofrmation on dyes, stains, ect. Or perhpas just email me at: flowersbytheriver2@comcast.net Thank you

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor